Product Engineer - Mechanical - Columns (2022)
The Steering Column and Intermediate Shaft Engineering group at Nexteer Automotive is looking for an experienced Product Engineer to work in a dynamic team environment, developing and implementing designs for customer vehicle programs. Candidates have the opportunity to work directly with vehicle OEM teams locally and globally and with internal technical staff and world class test and validation facilities to ensure successful program execution.
An ideal candidate will be both analytical and hands-on and possess a high level of interpersonal skills to enable effective collaboration with customers, suppliers, and other Nexteer staffs.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the design, development, and testing of steering columns and intermediate shafts for customer vehicle programs.
- Conduct product design projects per the Nexteer’s engineering process.
- Collaborate with CAD designers to create/invent new and robust designs.
- Coordinate/process design analysis utilizing experts to process dimensional stacks and computer simulations (FEA).
- Create/update DFMEA’s for components and assemblies. (Pre-training available)
- Engineering Release products, components, and design changes.
- Maintain positive, effective working relationships internally and with our customers.
- Collaborate with Manufacturing Engineering, Global Supply Management, Operations, and PCL to implement designs that are robust and enable world class quality and cost performance.
- Work with GSM and Quality to resolve supplier issues.
- Collaborate with other functional staffs on cost reduction projects.
- Support manufacturing plants in problem solving.
- 2 years experience in product design preferred, will consider new college graduates.
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with customers, suppliers, and other functional staffs.
- Analytical ability and perseverance to solve unusual and challenging new designs.
- Knowledge of the principles of project management.
- Understanding of GD&T (Training available)
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Computer application experience or adaptability (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to sit or remain on his or her feet for extended periods of time.
- Knowledge of steering column product design and/or manufacturing processes preferred.
- Problem solving capability, or awareness, with Design for Six Sigma, Shainin Red X, or Six Sigma Greenbelt certification preferred.
Bachelor – Mechanical Engineering preferred, Other Engineering degrees considered
Equal Opportunity Employer Disabled/Minorities/Veterans/Women
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Nexteer is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employees to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.
Accessibility for Applicants with Disabilities: If you need a reasonable accommodation for the online application process due to a disability please call 1-[Register to View] . Please provide your contact information and details about the posted position of interest. Only inquiries regarding assistance for those who need an accommodation with the online application process due to a disability will be returned.