Mechanical Engineer - Component Design (JR6086110_Indianapolis)
Mechanical Engineer - Component Design
The Component Design Engineer is responsible for the mechanical design of Gas Turbine Engine components. The Design Engineer is also responsible for the creation of design definitions that meet system requirements and product attributes. The Design Engineer will exhibit strong technical knowledge in mechanical design methodologies and have an understanding of cross-discipline engineering concepts which include but are not limited to manufacturing engineering, cost engineering, and product definition. In this role, the Design Engineer will apply the latest design methods, tools, and techniques to support the design needs of the business.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
To ensure we continue to be pioneers of our industry, Rolls-Royce has a team of over 16,500 engineers around the globe. They include everyone from world experts in their field to those who manage hundreds of people and millions of dollars’ worth of investments. We recruit engineers at all levels and in a range of disciplines. And while we encourage specialization, we also offer freedom to cross-specialize and develop skills across a number of different areas.
- Deliver design solutions for gas turbine component(s) and complex assemblies in consideration of safety, manufacturing capability, product physical and functional robustness. Design solutions will address component requirements such as Unit Cost, Lifecycle Cost, Weight, Maintainability, Repair.
- Perform engineering activities that include the following: mechanical design, analysis, hand calculations, tolerance stacks, presenting technical data, authoring technical reports, creating and reviewing functional and physical interfaces, and generating analysis requirements for components.
- Support creation of detailed component definition (drawings and/or model based definition) and support manufacturing to produce conforming hardware.
- Participate in or lead Root Cause and Corrective Action teams, provide input for sub-system and system level risks, and complete risk assessments for owned components.
- Create component requirements documents for owned hardware and hardware design concepts and perform trade studies to optimize hardware
- Provide limits for engine and rig testing and supporting testing including assessment of test results and tested hardware
Rolls-Royce is a Military Friendly Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.
- Bachelors in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 2+ years of design experience, experience using computer aided design tools such as Siemens NX, experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), and the creation of limit stacks and experience with generic design processes as well as component specific design guidance, or
- Masters Degree with 0+ yrs of design experience experience using computer aided design tools such as Siemens NX, experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), and the creation of limit stacks and experience with generic design processes as well as component specific design guidance
- Must be a US Citizen to be considered for this role
- Familiarity with gas turbine component and sub-system design, including materials, structural analysis, dynamics, and aerothermal methods
- Experience using computer aided design tools such as Siemens NX
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), and the creation of limit stacks
- Experience with generic design processes as well as component specific design guidance
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes
- Experience in the design of gas turbine components, such as compressors, combustors, turbines, transmissions, and/or externals
Pioneer the next generation of innovation. Join us and you’ll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for its brilliance.
Pioneers of Power
We are an equal opportunities employer. We’re committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we’ll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realize their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy [Register to View] .
So that you can be your best at work and home, we’ll consider flexible working arrangements for everyone, in any role.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position
Close Date: April 15th 2022Job CategoryMechanical SystemsPosting Date01 Apr 2022; 00:04