Signal Path Design Engineer (Hardware Architectures)- Kilby Labs (210006M8_Dallas)
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. We’re committed to building a better future - from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities and developing great minds. Put your talent to work with us - change the world, love your job!
Kilby Labs, TI’s central R&D organization, is looking for a qualified candidate for the position of hardware architecture design leading to a system design and chip development for EV traction motor applications. Understanding magnetic current sensing coupled with traction motor control systems for very high power, high current applications is a plus. The job involves designing a differentiated system architecture with its key building block IPs on the signal path that create accurate performance and cost differentiation for EV markets. The signal chain involves analog front ends, A-D/D-A converters, digital signal processing and software for the complete system. The engineer is expected to do system modeling and simulations to demonstrate novel solutions feasibility, defining and constructing system prototypes to demonstrate functionality and understand application needs and limitations. We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated, hard-working, results-oriented individual to contribute in an extremely talented team environment.
- System Knowledge: Define, design and develop a system level solution in the area of high power, high current EV inverters, motor control system and battery management with highly differentiated features: performance, power, cost, ease of use, etc. Familiar with TI silicon portfolio (Sensors, discrete analog components, MCUs/ DSPs, power management components, etc.) for the solution and the competitive advantages.
- Motor Control & Signal Processing: Define, design and develop highly optimized motor control/signal processing algorithms needed to extract the information from a sensing signal path including magnetic current sensing and drive GaN/SiC inverters for motor control. Co-optimizing drive and sensing path for mitigation of interference is a plus. Understands the role of converters quantization effects on systems, clock jitter and noise budgeting for signal chain. Familiar with nonlinear effects on signal chains.
- Hardware Design and Prototyping: Familiarity with C2000 class processors, firmware design and hardware co-optimization. Experience in building high power, high current EV inverter boards with on-board analog and high-speed high-precision circuits designs. Board level HW design for prototype based on discrete components with magnetic cores and current sensing are plus. Working with team members for a complex system level HW/SW solution: includes: sensors, AFE circuits, power management, embedded control SW and user interfaces.
- Simulation & Verification: Provide complete system level simulations to validate the viability of a given solution, analyze system performance requirements and perform system tradeoff analysis
- Collateral: Provide self-contained package (documentation, simulations, software, hardware, test infrastructure) to ensure a smooth transition of given solution to TI internal business units and driving customers.
- Customer Interactions: Work with business units to engage with development stage customers with system support. Engage with TI customers research teams to define new areas of product innovations.
- Intellectual Property: Generate IPs out of existing projects
- Emerging Technologies: monitor competitive landscape for performance benchmark relative to competition and find new applications/opportunities in the embedded analytics space using existing TI products or define future products. Analyze competitor landscape and identify areas of differentiation for TI
- Execution: Develop project plan, identify key milestones, and estimate resource need for each milestone to complete the project
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical, Electrical and Computer Engineering with 2+ years industrial experience on H/W system or chip level design. Experience on magnetic current sensing area is preferred.
- Proficient in analog and basic digital IC design of mixed signal circuits: tools, environment, development flow. Highly capable of system and circuit level simulations and modeling in a mixed mode simulation environment. Understand circuit tradeoffs for ultralow power analog and digital circuit designs.
- Proficient with Matlab/Simulink/Python to develop system simulations that include sensor models and circuit components to analyze the potential HW + SW solutions that includes analog to digital converters, digital to analog or PWM signals.
- Experience in resolving differences between simulation and real time prototype designs to demonstrate value in proposed solution.
- Comfortable in debugging the system in lab environment with various lab test and measurement equipment.
Desirable Skills And Experiences
- Can provide HW/SW partitioning and architecture analysis for most efficient system implementation.
- Has knowledge in one or more systems that involve sensors in magnetic and other sensor modalities
- Has experience with the programming languages, real-time embedded software/operating system and MCU programming environments.
- Experience in debugging HW and SW and delivering a working prototype
- Can work with others in a team and brainstorm potential solutions
- Deliver solutions on-time with high quality
- Has engaged with sensing systems used in industrial and automotive applications
Texas Instruments is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, genetic information, national origin, gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you are interested in this position, please apply to this requisition.