R&D Systems Engineer - Diagnostics and Prognostics- Auburn Hills (2022)
R&D Systems Engineer – Diagnostics and Prognostics
Nexteer Research and Development applies Nexteer’s motion control expertise to innovate next-generation products for both automotive and non-automotive applications. We have launched an exciting new initiative to develop software product offerings in areas ranging from vehicle health management to road condition monitoring. We are looking for a Systems Engineer with expertise in Diagnostics and Prognostics to be a key member of this team.
In this position, you will use your expertise in systems engineering, diagnostics and prognostics, and vehicle engineering to support development of health management software for both Electric Power Steering (EPS) and other chassis components. You will work to understand current health indicator coverage and identify gaps. You will develop new health indicators and validate performance using test data. You will support development of additional health management software components including data collection and user interface, and you will help guide development future health management system architectures.
This position offers the potential opportunity for a hybrid work arrangement. Please note, arrangements could change based on the company's COVID-19 protocols at the time of hire.
- Modify existing and create new health indicators to meet diagnostic and prognostic requirements for EPS subsystems and components
- Create new health indicators for other vehicle chassis components such as dampers and bushings
- Work with internal subject matter experts to develop health indicators using physics, statistical, and machine learning based approaches
- Design and prototype health indicator algorithms in high level software (Matlab/Simulink, Python, etc.)
- Work with internal validation team to specify tests to validate performance of health indicators
- Perform vehicle data acquisition to support development of indicators
- Analyze test data from bench and vehicle tests to validate performance of indicators
- Develop system architecture for diagnostic and prognostic solutions that may reside in embedded, cloud, and aftersales/service-bay environments
- Develop requirements and specifications for additional health management components; examples include data collection, decision analysis, and user interface
- Support system integration of health management software into vehicles including CAN communications development
- Work across organization with R&D, Core Electrical and Mechanical, Software and Systems, Manufacturing, and Quality to achieve health management goals
- Experience in diagnostics and prognostic indicator development and implementation
- Experience modeling mechanical or electrical components and systems
- Experience developing and managing requirements and specifications
- Ability to develop algorithms in Matlab/Simulink or Python
- Experience with analysis and interpretation of test data using Matlab or LabView or equivalent
- Experience in automotive or other vehicle industry preferred
- Understanding of CAN and experience with CAN tools (Vector CANape, Vehicle SPY, or equivalent) preferred
- Experience with reliability engineering for electrical and mechanical components including damage models and testing approaches preferred
- Understanding of basic project management principles and the ability to apply to own work to manage deliverables and timing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, hands-on environment and flexibility to take on a variety of roles
- Highly motivated self-starter with a strong desire to have a significant impact on future products
- Interest in increasing skills in a variety of areas
- BS with 5+ years of work experience, MS or a PhD with relevant research experience
- Majors: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science
Equal Opportunity Employer Disabled/Minorities/Veterans/Women
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Nexteer is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employees to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.
Accessibility for Applicants with Disabilities: If you need a reasonable accommodation for the online application process due to a disability please call 1-[Register to View] . Please provide your contact information and details about the posted position of interest. Only inquiries regarding assistance for those who need an accommodation with the online application process due to a disability will be returned.