Reactor Technology Instructor
This position is located in the Office of the Office of the Chief Human Capital Officer (OCHCO), Associate Director for Human Resources Training and Development (HRTD), Reactor Technical Training Branch (RTTB), which is located at the Technical Training Center (TTC) in Chattanooga, TN.
The supervisor is Matthew Emrich.
This position is in the Bargaining Unit.
This position is not subject to Confidential Financial Disclosure or security ownership restriction reporting requirements.
THIS JOB IS OPEN TO
- [Register to View]
class="usajobs-joa-intro-hiring-paths__link" target="_blank" rel="noopener">
U.S. Citizens, Nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
This is an Open Until Filled Vacancy Announcement. It will be used to fill positions as vacancies occur. Over the course of the open period, applications will be reviewed and referred for positions as they become available. The first set of applications will be reviewed and made available for referral on Novemeber 8, 2021. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply early to receive the broadest consideration.Duties
As the Reactor Technology Instructor (RTI) your major function will be implementation and execution of the training and development mission of the HRTD division in OCHCO. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Completes tasks supporting all facets of the Systematic Approach to Training (SAT) process (i.e. analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation) as designated by Senior RTI Program leads for reactor designs they are assigned to by their designated branch chief.
- Attains qualification to instruct in multiple reactor designs, administratively manages a reactor program, and serves as a Level 1 Contracting Officer’s Representative.
- Completes the HRTD TTC Reactor Technology Instructor (RTI) formal staff qualification process in areas as assigned. Qualification areas may include but are not limited to the following reactor programs: General Electric (GE) Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) Technology; Westinghouse Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR) Technology; Combustion Engineering PWR Technology; Babcock & Wilcox PWR Technology; AP-1000 PWR Technology; and New Reactor Design Technologies as curricula are developed.
- Attains and maintains proficiency in the use of agency information resources including document management and retrieval systems, Web-based systems, and other IT systems.
- Reviews technical and regulatory information to maintain currency with NRC policies and procedures and industry technical and operational information. Supports reactor technology program owners in evaluating current information, reviewing recommendations regarding updates to assigned training programs and updating the programs as appropriate. Examples of information evaluated include: NUREGs; Licensee Event Reports; Daily Event Reports; Bulletins; Vendor Topical Reports; INPO Documents; and NEI Documents.
- Evaluates training standards and programs developed by other government agencies and commercial firms for possible utilization in the technical training curriculum and recommends updates to program owners for assigned programs as appropriate.
- Conducts classroom and simulator presentations utilizing appropriate techniques such as formal lectures, workshops, demonstrations, seminars, and role playing. Where appropriate, utilizes technology aids such as video displays, computers, training and presentation software, video conferencing, etc.
- Develops technology curriculum elements, either individually or as part of a team, including lesson objectives, instructor lesson plans, student materials (i.e. course manual chapters and handouts), examination questions, and graphics (as directed by program owners.)
- Develops simulator scenarios including lesson objectives, instructor lesson plans, and student materials (as directed by program owners.)
Conditions of Employment
- This is a Drug Testing position.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Background investigation leading to a clearance is required for new hires.
You must meet the qualifications for this position no later than 30 days after the date you submit your application and before placement in the position.
In order to qualify for this position, you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level in the Federal Service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as experience that demonstrates a thorough knowledge of commercial (or military) power plant facilities (both PWR and BWR), particularly in the areas of systems design, instrumentation and control, risk insights, plant operations, operating requirements, technical specifications, and transient response and implementation of training programs.
The Ideal Candidate Will Demonstrate:
Knowledge and understanding of commercial (or military) light water reactor facilities (both PWR and BWR) with emphasis in system design, instrumentation and control (I&C), plant operations, operating requirements, technical specifications, and transient response. Specific experience, education (bachelor's degree or college credits), and/or training which demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of the design, operation, and operating requirements of commercial nuclear power facilities. Include sufficient information to allow determination of both the breadth and depth of your knowledge and experience.
Knowledge of NRC goals, programs, regulations, regulatory guides and licensing policies applicable to light water reactor (LWR) nuclear facilities. Specific experience, education and/or training which demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of the regulation of LWR nuclear facilities. Also, describe specific education, experience and/or training which demonstrates your understanding of the revised reactor oversight program, the maintenance rule, and the principles of PRA as applied to power reactor regulation.
Knowledge of the principles and practices and demonstrated experience in the implementation and maintenance of technical training programs including the Systematic Approach to Training (SAT). Specific experience, education and/or training which demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of the implementation and maintenance of technical training programs. Describe the relevance of your knowledge and experience to the implementation and maintenance of technical training programs, including your application and understanding of the systems approach to training. Provide detailed information describing the extent of your classroom and/or simulator student contact time.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including experience, education, training, and accomplishments which demonstrate your ability to participate in and lead complex technical discussions; write papers or reports; and establish effective working relationships with supervisors, peers and individuals of diverse backgrounds. Provide specific examples which demonstrate your ability to lead discussions, present briefings, and write papers or reports.
Demonstrated ability to meet and deal effectively with people at various levels of individuals you interact with and for what purpose. Describe specific education, training, and/or experience which has enabled you to acquire human relations and interpersonal skills. Explain how these skills fostered your ability to work effectively with people either individually or in a group or team environment; enabled you to effectively exchange information, provide advice, or resolve complaints and concerns of a person or group of people; or enable you to convince, persuade to a person or group of people your point, idea, or recommendation.
A description of how you possess the specialized experience as well as how you meet the qualifications desired in an ideal candidate should be addressed in your resume and additional space provided for supplemental responseEducation
Qualification for 1701, General Education and Training Series:
- Degree: that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position.
- Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in A above.
As required by Executive Order 14043, Federal employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by November 22, 2021 or before appointment or onboarding with the agency, if after November 22. Information on the vaccination documentation needed may be found at the Safer Federal Workforce website: [Register to View] . The agency will provide information on our process to request a legally required exception from this requirement when we extend an offer.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. [Register to View] target="_blank" rel="noopener">Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
As an NRC employee you will enjoy excellent Federal Benefits, including: comprehensive health and life insurance plans; Flexible Spending Account Program for health and dependent care; Long Term Care Insurance; Dental and Vision Insurance; retirement savings and investment plan similar to 401(k) (Thrift Savings Plan); annual (vacation) and paid sick leave; family friendly leave policies; 11 paid holidays per year; transit benefits. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees. [Register to View]
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
When the application process is complete, your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the job requirements. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to any vacancy questions to determine your level of knowledge, skill, and ability related to the job requirements. If you are among the top candidates for this position, your application will be referred to the hiring manager.
Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your knowledge, skills, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to submit a thorough resume that directly relates to this position.
To preview questions please [Register to View] .
As a NRC employee you are required to submit your most recent Rating of Record (Performance Appraisal) or a statement saying that one is not available. You may do so either electronically, following the instructions below, or by sending one copy by mail to [Register to View] (If sending via email please ensure PII is redacted.
All supplemental documents can now be collected electronically and should be submitted before the closing date of this vacancy announcement. You have three choices for submitting your supplemental documents:
1. Use the "USAJOBs" feature to download documents from your USAJOBs portfolio; or
2. use the "Upload" feature to upload documents directly from your computer. The following types of documents can be uploaded:
.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc; or
3. use the "Fax" feature to print the Fax Cover Sheet and fax it, along with your supplemental documents to 1-[Register to View] .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from [Register to View] .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.How to Apply
We strongly encourage you to read the entire announcement before you submit your application for this position.
Your application for this vacancy must be received online via the USAJOBS application system BEFORE 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete online application, you will not be considered for this position.
The NRC requires that applicants submit resumes built using the USAJOBS Resume Builder tool. The Resume Builder tool is activated upon selecting "Build New Resume" under the "Resumes" section of your USAJOBS account.
Resumes uploaded to your USAJOBS jobseeker account that have not been built using the USAJOBS Resume Builder tool WILL NOT be accepted and you WILL NOT be allowed to further advance through the NRC application process.
To ensure you are using the correct resume type when applying to our vacancies, please make sure that the resume you are using during the application process is listed with a format type of "USAJOBS Resume" and a source type of "Built with USAJOBS Resume Builder. Verifying this information on your USAJOBS resume before applying will ensure the successful submission of your application to the NRC job vacancy.
Paper applications will not be accepted unless hardship circumstances can be demonstrated. Requests for extensions WILL NOT be granted. If applying online poses a hardship for you, the Human Resources Specialist listed on the announcement will provide assistance to ensure that applications are submitted online by the closing date. Applicants must contact the Human Resources Specialist during business hours BEFORE the closing date of the announcement and speak to someone who can provide assistance for your online submission.
You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume. Breadth, recency, and length of experience in the field; training, awards, and commendations; past and current performance; and community or outside professional activities will be considered to determine your level of knowledge, skill or ability for this position. To begin the application process, select the "Apply On-line" button to the right on this screen. Then follow the prompts to login/register, submit all required supplemental documents, and complete the application process.
Agency contact information
NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION
Office of the Chief Human Capital Officer
Mail Stop: TWFN-02A77
Attn: Amanda Noonan
Washington, District of Columbia 20555
United States [Register to View]