Sr Quality Assurance Specialist (HERSA005H13258)
Job Location: Memphis, TN
Please note that this is a First Shift position. Flexibility to cover other shifts and/or weekends as needed to support the needs of the business is required.
The Hershey Company Memphis plant is a Non-Union plant producing products such as Ice Breakers, Breath Savers, and Good & Plenty, in a high-speed complex environment.
Under moderate guidance, the Quality Assurance Specialist’s primary role is to assist in maintaining Global Food Safety Initiative certification. In addition, the specialist will serve as a liaison between Quality Assurance (QA) and Manufacturing.
In this role the QA Specialist provides support to the manufacturing operations and depending on the shift may be the sole QA representative. QA responsibilities include ensuring compliance to all company and regulatory policies/procedures pertaining to product safety/quality.
The position serves as the technical resource for Manufacturing and Engineering, providing leadership and guidance in the areas of weight control, packaging, incident investigation and resolution, troubleshooting and other related matters.
The incumbent also provides support to employee training and product and process audits. The position provides QA support to the various Business Units across the plant.
The QA Specialist must have a sound working knowledge of Hershey’s quality system requirements. Some laboratory duties are required.
- Facilitates production activities to meet quality/safety specifications and regulatory standards by providing training, auditing, troubleshooting and incident management.
- Assists the Food Safety Compliance specialist in maintaining programs to achieve and maintain Global Food Safety Initiative certification. Develop knowledge of the internal programs and manage the compliance to schedule.
HACCP & Continuous Improvement:
- Conducts regular internal audits which include elements of HACCP and PEP systems, documents, and reports findings and follows-up on non-conformances. Conducts routine audits and inspections after cleaning or maintenance work. Reviews control point documentation, paper and/or electronic. Participate/lead verification and validation activities for PEP and Global Food Safety Initiative compliance. Supports Lean Manufacturing programs associated with the business unit, providing guidance on quality assurance principles
- Assists in efforts to educate and train the workforce on food quality and safety issues. Conducts training specifically for plant employees and regularly follows up with employees to ensure that they understand the requirements of their jobs.
- Conducts audits in accordance with Product Excellence Program (PEP)/ Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) / Environmental compliance procedures.
- Investigates and analyzes incidents to identify trends in product/quality safety information. Initiates corrective actions and communicates findings as appropriate. Uses various computer support systems (ex. SAP product tracking, Line Production Reporting (LPR), Trackwise Services (Quality Incident Management System), etc.) to help isolate / solve problems.
Project / New Product / Business Unit Support:
- Implements continuous improvement through utilization of PEP program elements such as Master Control Plans, Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP), HACCP, Allergen prevention plan, weight control and consumer complaint reduction. Under moderate supervision, acts as QA representative on multi-functional project teams or non-routine assignments. May support new product efforts from initial test runs to full-scale production to assure integrity of systems.
Subject Matter Expert:
- Incumbent is a subject matter expert in one or more of the following areas: Packaging, Net Weight, Recipe Management, Processing, Pest Control, Sanitation, Training, etc.
- Provide Plant wide leadership, project management, training, and coaching, in the specified areas of expertise.
Minimum Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Knowledge of federal and state food industry regulations.
- Understanding of sanitation and pest control practices
- Familiarity with Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards
- Strong computer, document management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written form
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Dexterity required for handling and performing tests in an accurate manner.
- Ability to record data as needed
- Strong problem solving/trouble shooting skills
- Solid understanding of a production / manufacturing environment
- Strong auditing / assessment skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence all management levels, enabling the direction of activities of teams of employees that do not have direct reporting in this role.
- Proficiency in computer programs / software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Power Point, SAP (Recipe Management), Net Weight and Trackwise.
- Working knowledge of regulatory and quality system requirements – Food Safety, Hershey’s PEP, HACCP, Good Manufacturing Process (GMP), etc.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- B.S. in Food Science or Microbiology preferred
- Minimum 2+ years related experience preferred
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact the HR Service Center [Register to View]