AVP, Corporate Communications (866716900A2)
AVP, Corporate Communications
Job Location: New York, NY (Hybrid: Tuesday in office plus two other days, and two days working from home)
We’re one of the largest financial institutions in the world with operations in approximately 40 markets. We’re a purpose-driven company that helps our individual and institutional customers build a more confident future. We’re constantly adapting to deliver value for our stakeholders. What we need: an all-purpose communications pro with the experience and passion to tackle every challenge a global financial enterprise can face.
The Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Corporate Communications is a highly skilled communicator and all-around expert when it comes to developing and executing communication strategies and partnering with senior leadership. This individual can cover the various aspects of enterprise communications – sustainability, issues and crisis management, financial and M&A, policy and regulatory, and reputation management. And the AVP can provide counsel to senior leaders and develop and execute communication plans for MetLife’s global functions as needed. A true communications expert who enjoys variety in the work, this individual will support a diverse mix of internal and external communication assignments. This new role will report to the Head of Global Employee Communications. If, after reading this, you feel a little intimidated but even more excited, send us a resume. And a well-written cover letter.
The Model Candidate will:
- Help manage communications issues facing MetLife, Inc., both proactively and reactively.
- Bring a strategic mindset that understands how to assess risks and opportunities and formulate communications plans that serve the company’s interests.
- Collaborate with the Office of the CEO, Finance, Sustainability, Government Relations, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, and other parts of the company to effectively manage communications challenges and opportunities.
- Partner with senior leaders in MetLife’s global functions to develop and execute internal and external communications that will help achieve business objectives.
- Understand how communications creates value for the company through its ability to craft the right messages for the right audiences to achieve the right outcomes.
- Employ the full toolbox of communications skills – strategic planning, writing, media relations, crisis communications, social media – to achieve tactical mastery over the challenges and opportunities facing us.
- Bring a strong executive presence and the confidence to counsel senior leaders.
- Have a bias for action and a desire to continually raise the bar.
- Be smart, ambitious, curious, a news junkie, a grammar geek, and a pitching wiz.
The Key Responsibilities:
- Read a lot. Know a lot. Bring your knowledge, experience, and skill to all tasks.
- Write great copy – remarks, key messages, releases, memos, whatever the situation calls for.
- See around corners.
- Know key reporters. Or get to know them. Understand where their needs and MetLife’s interests overlap.
- Have a hawk-like eye for detail.
- Have a strong interest in public policy and knowledge of the ways that communications can promote and preserve a supportive policy environment.
- Be part of the team that helps curate the daily media intelligence report for MetLife’s CEO and other senior leaders.
- Know that sometimes you’re going to work outside of normal hours.
- Have a sense of humor and enjoy working with others – we’re a team.
Business Experience and Technical Skills
- At least 10 years of experience in communications.
- Experience developing and executing communications plans for senior leadership.
- Superlative writing ability.
- Mastery of AP style.
- Proven track record of successful media relations, both proactive and defensive.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Experience working on corporate matters, including financial communications for a public company.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Knowledge of insurance and finance, with a passion to achieve mastery.
- Expertise in communications metrics/measurement.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine's 2021 list of the "World's Most Admired Companies."
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.