Lead Application Developer (879674000A1)
Location: Cary NC
Role Value Proposition:
As an invaluable developer who is part of MetLife transformational program, you will have the opportunity to shape some of the critical applications. You will be responsible for thought leadership, creative problem solving, provide appropriate escalation of issues and resolve escalated issues using solution knowledge and expertise in a complex environment. Your responsibilities include writing full stack code, reviewing code written by the team, design and write systems, frameworks, applications and APIs. As a senior member of the team, you will be responsible for all aspects of the Dev Ops life cycle of the product and its successful build out, delivery and production maintenance. This position will collaborate closely with a diverse team of Project Managers, Business Analysts, Business Systems Analysts and Software Development Engineers to deliver to internal and external US Group Benefits Business initiatives.
- Hands on development with UI, Backend, Database, APIs, DevOps. Specifically Angular, Java, SQL, Micro services, Dockers, Azure DevOps. Similar related technologies will be an asset.
- Develop architecture and solution designs.
- Develop iterative implementation plans and strategies. Estimate as part of release plan and iteration plan exercises
- Mentor, motivate, influence, drive innovation, and coach broader technical team. Provide technical and solution guidance to the team. Conduct design and code reviews for the team delivery.
- Oversight of junior developer and vendor development work
- Key participant in user story breakdowns, user story elaboration, and user story reviews
- Serve as an escalation point for deployments, and change oversight, enabling highly visible business priorities.
- A self-starter capable of acting independently and proactively without requiring management oversight.
- Lead interactions with business and technology leaders across the global lines of businesses.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- End to end system design that balances the tradeoffs between technical solution, business value and operational simplicity.
- Core hands on development skills in Angular, React, Java, OOP, SQL, JSON, No-SQL (MongoDB, CosmosDB), Dockers, Kubernetes, Scripting.
- Hands on DevOps skills. Prefer Azure DevOps otherwise similar alternate technologies is a must.
- Experience with Queues/Kafka, Micro services, message brokers, integration patterns.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the SRE runbooks.
- Advanced knowledge of the principles in software engineering, system analysis and design, design and analysis of algorithms, computer system architecture, data structures.
- 12+ years related work experience successfully delivered on large, complex projects with demonstrated technical leadership in delivery.
- BS/MS in Comp Science/IS.
- Disability product experience or Insurance industry knowledge.
- Cloud experience is plus with Azure and Google.
- Experience working in cross-functional, multi-location teams.
- Experience in Agile methodology, tools, and Agile integration with Waterfall.
Global Technology and Operations, Group Disability
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine's 2021 list of the "World's Most Admired Companies."
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.