Director - Software Development Engineering (903927200A0)
Location - Cary, NC.
Role Value Proposition:
MetLife’s Retirement and Income Solutions (RIS) is a market leading provider that has a proven history and deep understanding of how to build, protect, and grow wealth for the long term. We are looking to enhance the way we administer benefits and stay in contact with our customers, streamline / revamp internal business operational processes, and ensure we stay in compliance with state regulatory requirements. This Director of Product Development Engineering role is responsible for leading cross-functional teams to drive continuous enhancements of various RIS distributed and legacy admin systems and integration with multiple IT systems, both internal and external, following Scaled Agile framework and DevSecOps best practices.
- Lead a technology team of 50 to 100 members consisting of full stack software engineers, DevSecOps engineers and Scrum Masters, using Scaled Agile Framework
- Drive the vision and strategy for secure, scalable, and reliable IT solutions that supports business growth.
- Continue leading the organizational transformation towards Agile Delivery Model and adoption of DevSecOps best practices
- Partner with Product Management and engineering leaders to develop technical roadmap.
- Bring technology and engineering acumen to partner with architects and principal engineers to find tactical and strategic solutions across engineering talent, SDLC and technology.
- Partner with enterprise platform teams to identify and integrate APIs, frameworks, etc.
- Equip engineering team with the necessary tools, information in enterprise system of record, environment management, CI/CD pipeline, integrations/APIs, release management and test data management and position them to deliver unmatched customer experiences in the industry.
- Drive people leadership including talent, operations, employee engagement, resource (FTE or FTC) management and performance management.
- Own budget and manage the financials for the portfolio of work.
- Working with Agile teams, comprehend, analyze people, process or technology blockers and direct/action to resolve them. The role will own resolution of all barriers that impede the important work done by the teams.
- Be an advisor, coach to the teams on Agile Delivery Model, SAFE/Agile practices.
- Be data-driven and passionately drive evolution of metrics and collection/reporting of engineering metrics. Partnering with product manager, contribute to business metrics.
- Financial and operational responsibility to engage and manage software vendors.
- Lead by example on customer centricity across multiple dimensions including during production incidents, Program Increment (PI) planning, discussing tradeoffs, prioritization, etc.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Accomplished organizational change management experience
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically with outstanding business acumen, who hits the sweet-spot of being strategic and "hands-on".
- Must be proficient in forging partnerships with others to accomplish end game expected results
- Advanced technical and people problem solving skills
- Deep understanding of Service-Oriented Architecture, Microservices, High Scalability and Availability application development best practices
- Strong experience with value stream mapping and business operational process simplification and redesign through IT automation and enhancements
- Solid estimating experience
- Strong vendor management and negotiation skills
- Solid experience around information risk, security, PII, SOX and legal compliance requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree with 10+ years’ experience leading high performing large scale IT teams
- Proven track record of success and significant experience in a fast-paced, leading software development initiatives, with working knowledge of modern database, services, UI and development tools.
- 5+ years leading multiple Agile teams and programs with expert understanding of Agile and Lean principles
- 3+ years of experience in driving full DevSecOps software development and engineering practices
- Experience in implementing both Cloud/SaaS Solutions & On-Premise Solutions
- Diverse experience with a broad range of applications development platforms, technologies, middleware, frameworks and programming languages
- Broad experience in software development lifecycle management
- Ability to build strong relationships w/IT & Business to negotiate & prioritize work
- Strong communication skills (both written & oral)
- Experience collaborating with and presenting to VP, C-Level
- Demonstrated problem solving & analytical thinking skills
- Insurance / Financial Services industry background
- 2+ years of Microsoft Azure Cloud development and deployment experiences
- Experience in effective management of offshore teams
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) certification
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine's 2021 list of the "World's Most Admired Companies."
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Requisition #: 126827