AVP & Assistant General Counsel, Public Company Law (913041600A0)
Position: AVP & Assistant General Counsel, Public Company Law
Job Location: New York, NY
The Corporate Secretary’s Office (CSO) is responsible for corporate governance for the publicly-traded parent company as well as numerous subsidiary companies around the world. This includes the company’s overall strategy as well as tactical matters related to the administration and execution of board meetings. The CSO also manages U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission compliance and required disclosures as a public company, as well as the legal support for capital markets transactions.
The AVP & Assistant General Counsel, Public Company Law will provide advice relating to financing and capital markets activities as well as SEC reporting obligations, in a challenging atmosphere that will promote personal opportunity and growth. The role is critical to MetLife’s strategy and its compliance with rules and regulations.
- Meet with key business partners, principally in Treasury, Investments and Financial Reporting, to define current priorities and emerging needs.
- Collaborate with business partners and peers in the preparation and review of current and periodic reports to be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Provide advice and counsel to senior management on matters related to MetLife’s disclosure obligations and presentation of information to the public.
- Evaluate, propose, and carry out transactional work at MetLife, particularly for internal and external financing transactions.
- Develop knowledge of governance procedures at MetLife applicable to public disclosure matters and transactional work.
- Monitor current developments relevant to transactional, governance and reporting work.
- Report to the Unit Manager for the Public Company Law Unit.
- Reports to: Unit Manager, Public Company Law
- Key Stakeholders: Corporate Secretary, Financial Reporting, Treasury
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- J.D. degree
- Licensed to practice in New York, or eligible to register as In-House Counsel pursuant to the Rules for the Registration of In-House Counsel of the Court of Appeals of the State of New York
- Progressively responsible experience in, and deep and broad understanding of, securities law, corporate governance, and transactional work, with at least 8-10 years of legal experience in securities and public company matters, including ’33 Act, ’34 Act, SEC rules, and NYSE rules, and related matters
- Strong legal research, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Anticipates legal issues and works proactively to address them; follows up and sees matters through to completion
- Robust written and oral communication skills
- Interacts well with colleagues, clients, and senior management
- Dedication to excellence and working in a spirit of partnership and collegiality, as part of a team including senior and junior attorneys
- Self-directed, creative and strategic thinker
- Able to work independently; exercises good judgment in determining when to consult management, colleagues, and clients
- Handles substantial and varied workload and time sensitive situations effectively, establishing appropriate priorities
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills
- Enjoys challenging assignments
- In-house experience
- Familiarity with or experience in insurance legal issues, corporate governance and/or executive compensation issues, including Section 16 reporting
- Familiarity with or experience in ’40 Act issues
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.