Vice President, Debt Team Lead
Position: Vice President, Debt Team Lead
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA
MetLife Investments is a premier asset manager with breadth across various asset sectors and global markets, and strong asset-liability management capabilities. With over $670 billion of total assets under management as of December 31, 2021, MIM is the institutional asset management business of MetLife, Inc., one of the world’s leading financial services companies. The primary objective of Investments is to maximize MetLife’s long-term economic value by investing in assets that support the company’s liabilities and produce a consistent stream of operating earnings.
Global Real Estate and Agricultural Investments maintain a portfolio invested in commercial real estate and agricultural mortgages, as well as real estate equities. Real Estate Investments sources and manages commercial real estate investments through seven regional field offices in the U.S. and International field offices in London, Tokyo, Mexico City and Santiago
Lead a team of real estate professionals to market, identify, analyze, originate, close and manage commercial real estate loan opportunities to fulfill the investment needs of MetLife’s general account and third party clients. Oversee the evaluation, analysis, structuring, negotiation and closing of new debt transactions, asset management of the existing loan portfolio including proactive risk management and annual valuations. Team Leader is also responsible for staff development. The region includes southern California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Hawaii.
- Provide leadership in the origination and closing of new commercial real estate loan investments.
- Develop, expand and maintain external relationships with key market participants, such as mortgage bankers, developers and investors.
- Solicit investment opportunities from market participants and communicate MetLife’s commercial real estate loan lending parameters.
- Evaluate new commercial real estate loan investment requests for fit with MetLife’s investment criteria.
- Underwrite potential new commercial real estate loan investments, including evaluating the collateral, sponsorship, and structure. Identify potential risks and propose appropriate structure to mitigate risks.
- Coordinate the preparation of transaction memoranda and present to investment committees for approval.
- Originate and close new commercial real estate loan investments.
- Manage the closing process for new transactions including negotiating loan applications, loan documents, completing all due diligence, and coordinating a closing team that includes loan asset managers, attorneys, architects, appraisers and other third-party consultants.
- Oversee the management and administration of commercial real estate loan investments in the local Regional Office portfolio, including annual mortgage ratings, collateral valuations, property inspections, lease approvals, and loan assumptions and modifications.
- Proactively manage portfolio of real estate loans in accordance with stated strategies. Develop strategies for sub-performing loans.
- Coordinate fulfillment of all loan portfolio reporting requests.
- Foster environment of cooperation and teamwork without detracting from personal accountability of staff for achieving results.
- Maintain a close relationship with Debt Strategies Group.
- Work closely with Regional Director, Asset Management team, and Acquisitions team to establish strong lines of communication and help develop and implement investment strategies and policies affecting the Regional Office.
- Provide a working environment that enables staff to grow and succeed on a professional level.
- Reports to: Regional Director
- Direct reports/team: Debt Team, 9 directs
- Key Stakeholders: Debt Strategies Group, Loan Asset Management, Regional Architects, Risk, Research & Analytics, Portfolio Management, Legal, Finance, Investors & Clients, other Regional Offices Debt teams
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Results-driven professional with over 10+ years of experience in commercial real estate loan investment, including loan workouts.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable business related field; MBA preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and introduce profitable investment strategies and executing same through dynamic leadership, strategic planning and collaboration with experienced professionals inside and outside the organization.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong marketing and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills including proficiency with Argus Enterprise, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and the ability to quickly master proprietary internal systems.
- Extensive relationships across the real estate industry, including borrowers and intermediaries
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Grows Talent – Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $670 billion of total assets under management as of December 31, 2021. We are ranked #48 on the Fortune 500 list for 2020. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to [Register to View] or call our Employee Relations Department at 1-[Register to View] .
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.