At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
Role Value Proposition:
The senior counsel will join an active and sophisticated Investments Law group that counsels and provides transactional support to the MetLife Investments Management (“MIM”) Commercial Real Estate Debt and Equity and Agricultural Investments units on all aspects of commercial real estate and agricultural investments from origination through the life of the investment, with such investments being primarily in the US, but also in Latin America. MIM is a registered investment advisor representing affiliated and non-affiliated clients.
This role requires the initiative and skills required to drive our business partners’ goals; the ability to distill complex issues and communicate same to our business partners in a simple and straightforward manner; the ability to recommend courses of action based on a deep understanding of the issues, market and MIM; and the ability to provide strategic advice to senior business leaders within Real Estate and Agricultural Investments.
- Provide transactional support in originating commercial mortgage and mezzanine loans
- Provide advice and counsel to key business decision makers on the enforcement, restructuring and workout of delinquent or non-performing commercial and agricultural mortgage loans in accordance with applicable law
- Counsel business teams and manage outside counsel on troubled commercial real estate and agricultural loans
- Provide sound legal advice in a crisp and business friendly manner on all types of commercial and agricultural investments, including with respect to novel or complex issues and structures
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel
- Draft and negotiate contracts and documents relating to commercial and agricultural mortgage loans
- Assist in the structuring, negotiation and closing of real estate transactions
- Prepare, initiate, advocate for, and effectively present legal points and recommendations to guide key decision makers and to represent business partners as legal counsel.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice before a state bar.
- 7+ years of relevant experience with a law firm or in-house, including experience counseling on mortgage loan defaults, foreclosure, restructurings and workout matters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with proven business acumen.
- Able to work under limited supervision.
- Creative thinker who is result oriented, finding solutions to novel issues or situations
- Ability to work independently, grasp concepts, assess risk and make sound informed decisions quickly
- Demonstrated strong learning agility
- Demonstrated strategic planning, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills, with a proven record of proactively managing risks and outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a track record of building relationships and effective partnerships across constituencies and stakeholders.
- Superior organizational and leadership skills, and a demonstrated ability to establish and manage priorities.
- Awareness and understanding of current economic and market trends affecting institutional investors globally
- The ability to work in an environment that emphasizes information sharing, collaboration, teamwork, mutual respect and integrity.
- Cross border investment transaction experience in Latin America and fluency in Spanish or Portuguese a plus.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.