Financial Risk & Controls Junior Manager
JOB TITLEFinancial Risk & Controls Junior Manager
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace”
At Unilever, Finance is about so much more than numbers. It’s the lifeblood of our business – touching every area, informing multi-million-euro decisions and directly influencing the development, growth and health of our brands, and through them our vision to build a better business and a better world.
Your influence will directly determine the future of our brands and our whole business. Our Finance teams are tasked with the financial operation, auditing, accountancy and tax management of Unilever as a whole. At our root, we believe that sustainable business growth is only possible when you bring together the best purpose-led talent, and that is what you will find in our teams. From Finance Business Partners to Accountants to the broad range of specialists in Expertise Services, everyone works together to achieve our ambitions.
In September 2020, Unilever announced the intention to build a new sustainable campus site in Kingston, London to house the employees who currently work in 100 Victoria Embankment in Blackfriars, Lever House in Kingston, Unilever House in Leatherhead and Graze in Richmond. We are creating our own Unilever sustainable, agile work environment, purposefully bringing us together in our own Unilever ecosystem. The campus is due to be completed in December 2023 and will consist of two interconnected buildings, as well as landscaped surrounding areas.
The purpose of the role is to support the GCAD Risk and Controls team in the delivery of the risk management and controls assurance processes, strengthening the financial controls environment and driving operating efficiency and effectiveness. You will be responsible for acting as a subject matter expert (SME) to support the Process Excellence teams in the design and implementation of controls, whilst playing a key role on delivering GCAD risk and control initiatives.
Within your role you will work closely with the Controls Service Centre (CSC), Process Excellence teams and country contacts to support the improvement of the risk management and control assurance processes. Further, the individual will be required to bring expertise and out the box thinking on the evolution of the global risk and controls framework.
- Supporting the documentation of Unilever’s enterprise level risks and mitigation plans.
- Working with Process Excellence teams / acquired businesses to support the design and implementation of controls to mitigate key risks.
- Increasing awareness of risk management and controls with the markets and acquired businesses through documentation, training and hands-on process reviews.
- Reviewing controls self-assessments and proposing / approving relevant exemptions.
- Development of control testing plans and methodologies.
- Reviewing and quantifying control deficiencies including preparing and reviewing deficiency file notes.
- Communicating the outcomes of the testing process to key stakeholders including preparation of reporting using tools such as PowerBI.
- Leading the quarterly Control Process Improvement meetings for one or more global process. This includes co-ordinating inputs from multiple teams, reviewing proposed control changes and communicating approved changes.
- Coaching and managing one or more direct reports.
ALL ABOUT YOU
- Part-Qualified or Qualified Chartered Accountant or other relevant professional qualification
- Controls experience or previous audit experience preferred
- Financial accounting experience preferred
- Knowledge of Unilever’s core business transactional processes
- Understanding of external auditor requirements and expectations for SOX ICFR compliance
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to analyse data effectively, efficiently and accurately
- Professional demeanour with ability to interact with all levels of management
- Strong written, and verbal communication and influencing skills, having the ability to coherently explain technical concepts to a wider business audience with impact
- Change management/experience of working as part of a multi-stakeholder project team will be an advantage
WHAT WE OFFER
Not only do we offer a competitive salary, but also our pension scheme, an annual bonus, a free gym, a staff shop and shares. You’ll get the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and agile environment. We strive to achieve a family-friendly culture and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.
Cyber criminals advertise fake job adverts with prestigious employers as a way of stealing information or even defrauding individuals out of money.
In the most sophisticated cases, they will set up fake websites, which have a similar address to companies like Unilever. They even conduct fake telephone interviews and then offer candidates a role with the proviso they pay a fee for background checks or to cover work visa costs. These types of attacks are becoming more common as more people are looking for employment in the economic climate.
How is Unilever tackling this?
Many of Unilever’s recruitment sites publish a warning to candidates about recruitment fraud. The Cyber Security team also proactively scan for signs of people setting up fake Unilever sites and act to close them down.
What can I do?
If you become aware of potential recruitment fraud, spot fake Unilever recruitment adverts or fake LinkedIn profiles, report them to the IT Services Desk via Una Live Chat.
Unilever does not accept responsibility or liability for any candidates who are financially impacted by recruitment fraud. Your vigilance is key!