Senior Counsel - Commercial Real Estate Investments
Job Location: United States : Georgia : Atlanta
Alternate Job Location: United States : Georgia : Atlanta
Work Arrangement: Hybrid
Role Value Proposition:
In Legal Affairs, we strive to attract, develop and retain diverse talent with the potential to be future leaders of our department and of MetLife as a whole. We seek legal and compliance professionals who demonstrate high intellectual capacity to understand complex matters facing our company, combined with strong leadership competencies to motivate and inspire higher performance by all our professionals. We take an active role in developing the skills of our talent and guiding their professional growth. By promoting skill development and career advancement for our professionals we are better positioned to serve our internal business partners and to help achieve MetLife’s vision of becoming a world-class leader in the insurance, retirement savings and employee benefits industries.
The attorney will join an active Investments Law group in Atlanta, Georgia that assists and advises the MetLife global real estate investments unit on all legal aspects of a sophisticated real estate practice
- Assist in the structuring, negotiation and closing of mortgage loans, mezzanine loans, warehouse lines, loan-on-loan financings and other types of financings, both as a lender and as a borrower.
- Assist in the structuring, negotiation and closing of acquisitions and dispositions of real properties.
- Draft and negotiate contracts and documents related to real estate investments, such as loan commitments, joint venture agreements for stabilized and development properties, asset management agreements and leases.
- Work with, guide and manage outside counsel representing the company on a wide range of debt and equity transactions, such as loan closings, sales and acquisitions, leasing matters and other loan, asset servicing matters and litigation.
- Counsel business teams involved in all areas of commercial real estate transactional work, new product development, third-party real estate investment management and on insurance regulation and compliance matters impacting MetLife’s commercial real estate portfolio.
- Provide advice and counsel to key business decision makers on the enforcement, restructuring and workout of delinquent or non-performing mortgage loans in accordance with applicable law and MetLife policy.
- Advise business partners and manage outside counsel on bankruptcies, foreclosures and other enforcement proceedings and general litigation matters.
- Prepare, initiate, advocate for, and effectively present legal points and recommendations to guide key decision makers and to represent business partners as legal counsel.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Requires a Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school; admitted to practice before a state bar.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience with a law firm or in-house.
- Proficient in negotiating, drafting and closing complex loans, sales and acquisitions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with proven business acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Able to work under limited supervision.
- Competencies: Analytical thinking; problem solving; demonstrates technical and functional expertise; exercises sound judgment; builds, and works within, collaborative partnerships; and negotiation skills.
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.