VP, Solution Design & Engineering
Vice President – Solution Design & Engineering
Job Location: Cary, NC preferred. Bridgewater, NJ and NY, NY also considered. Office schedule is hybrid with 3-days in the office and 2-days out.
Department: Global Technology-- US Technology
The Role: The VP, Solution Design & Engineering, will lead application architecture, modernization & deployment strategy, Solutions design, and Software engineering & development by applying cutting edge engineering and delivery practices. This individual will lead our Group Benefits Core & SBS engineering management team in building an engineering culture and ensure that the team has the right resources, systems, and tools to be set up for success as we increase the size of the Engineering team over the next few years and move assertively into a more Engineering-centric Agile Delivery Model. This individual will also be responsible for creating a Software-engineering centric talent and career pipeline for their portfolio. This leader will also ensure the smooth transition from a historical SOW-based software vendor relationship paradigm to an integrated Product Teams’ based engineering partnership with the new Strategic Sourcing Vendor Partner selected by MetLife.
The role will create a technology vision and roadmap, positioning and preparing UST Group Benefits solution architecture and Full Stack Development/engineering teams for scalable growth by establishing world-class standards and technical operations. This will require this role to provide leadership on behalf of Group Benefits for the Enterprise Application Modernization initiative. The VP, Solution Design & Engineering will strive to deliver consistent, high-quality products across Group Benefits initially. In addition, help transform the US Technology organization through shaping of best practices in Engineering and Solution Architecture, developing reusable assets, and guiding cross-functional engineering teams. This role will take the lead in driving an engineering culture; transforming the existing teams of engineers and architects into a highly effective engineering function to ensure timely, high quality engineering delivery.
The VP, Solution Design & Engineering will partner collaboratively with the IT Product Leaders for Group Core and SBS/MGI to enable an efficient matrix model of delivery in support of their respective Value Streams, owning joint accountabilities for all associated OKRs and other key outcomes.
The VP, Solution Design and Engineering will partner with the VP, Shared Platforms and Engineering Enablement, to ensure that the defined standards for CI/CD, DevOps, Test Automation, Performance Engineering, Software Reliability Engineering etc. are appropriately deployed at scale within their portfolio.
- Set technical direction (e.g., architecture decisions, solution frameworks, tech stack, etc.).
- Create a technical vision and roadmap for Group Benefits that includes plans for implementation of new technical advancements including platform migrations, cloud adoption, simplification of integration architectures etc. in the context of overall Technology Modernization.
- Research, evaluate and recommend new tools and technologies. Design and execute a pro-active strategy to monitor the “shelf-life” of existing technologies and third-party components and execute on a clear plan to integrate new technologies.
- Evaluate business challenges and work with other technology leaders to arrive at the best-fit technology solution.
- Partner proactively with Product teams through the IT Product Leaders, in delivering highly-engineered Technology solutions that provide value to the customer.
- Develop and implement policies, standards, and procedures for engineering and technical work performed in US Technology.
- Lead implementation of quality, continuous improvement, problem solving tools and other efficiency improvements to existing processes focusing on speed and quality of code development and deployment.
- Provide technical expertise and oversight to all ongoing development projects, conduct technical reviews and oversee product qualification/certifications.
- Validate cost estimations for technology initiatives and drive towards the most efficient ROIs for desired business outcomes. Continuously look for ways to enhance efficiencies and reduce development and testing costs.
- Manage executive and senior executive-level stakeholder relationships.
- Assist with estimating work efforts required for each phase of a project.
- Create and facilitate a professional engineering environment.
- Transform existing teams of engineers and architects and development managers into a highly effective engineering function, including upskilling our talent as required.
- Build a strong sense of accountability among team members.
- Support recruiting and onboarding of new employees.
- Experience scaling a Software Engineering function, having built and managed teams over 200+.
- Financial Services experience is a must.
- Demonstrated strength managing and developing diverse direct and 3rd party engineering organizations.
- Passion for technology and integrating new technologies to drive the business.
- Proven track record of delivering successful world-class, large-scale, performance-critical multimillion-dollar software projects on time, on budget and with quality and security, in support of large, growing, established businesses, as well as new businesses.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically with outstanding business acumen, as well as can be in the detail with issues and solutions.
- Experience in an agile/iterative, life cycle development processes with direct Business Owner partnership.
- Minimum of 15 years of technical leadership with a demonstrated track record of leading and overseeing engineering initiatives that are mix of technologies.
- 5+ years of leadership experience as a leader of agile or lean software development, architecture and platform engineering teams.
- Strong people leadership experience, including engineering talent selection, engagement, growth and retention.
- Experience developing solutions and enhancements in a continuous cycle, with demonstrated success rapidly building, releasing and updating service-based software with demanding service level agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree in either Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics strongly preferred.
Reports to: SVP, CIO - U.S. Business
Direct Reports: 7 (Engineering Leads in US Tech/Group Benefits Core and SBS)
Indirect Reports: 125+ FTE’s, 723+ FTC’s
MetLife Success Principles
- Experiment with Confidence – Courageously learn and test new ideas without fear of failure
- Act with Urgency – Demonstrate speed to action with agility and determination
- Seek Diverse Perspectives – Source ideas and feedback to expand thinking and make informed decisions
- Seize Opportunity – Drive responsible growth and identify areas for continuous improvement
- Champion Inclusion – Foster an environment where everyone is valued, heard, and can speak up
- Create Alignment – Partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency
- Take Responsibility – Be accountable and act in pursuit of the right outcomes
- Enable Solutions – Anticipate and address obstacles while managing risk
- Deliver What Matters – Execute meaningful priorities and follow through on commitments
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine's 2021 list of the "World's Most Admired Companies."
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.