Director - Underwriting
Title: Underwriting Director Regional & Small Business Solutions
Reports to: Assistant Vice President
Summary of Responsibilities:
This position directs a unit of skilled underwriters that provide risk evaluation and price setting for the Regional Operations Life, Dental, Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability and Worksite cases. This includes the risk and pricing evaluation for potential new business and the renewal of existing business on groups between 100 and 5,000 lives. Overall profitability and revenue growth of the life, dental, disability and worksite coverages is significantly dependent upon this unit. The unit works closely with sales and product partners on the development of appropriate case strategies for new and renewal business. The incumbent has a great deal of latitude in exercising judgement. The incumbent works closely with marketing, pricing and financial personnel in the Product Units on issues of product positioning, implementation of pricing strategies and support of financial reporting.
1. Manage the underwriting unit so that the case decisions of the underwriting staff correctly balance the profitability and growth objective of the Life, Dental and Disability and Worksite Business Plans.
2. Build effective working relationships with the underwriting staff, sales management and sales personnel as well as the administrative operations in the Service Center and the Life, Dental, Disability and Worksite Product Units in order to effectively consult on work and case issues.
3. Develop improved life, dental, disability and worksite underwriting team competencies through the application of the appraisal, coaching and developmental components of the company’s performance management system.
4. Make final decisions on cases requiring referral due to size and/or special plan features.
5. Participate in the development of underwriting strategies with the Life, Dental, Disability and Worksite Product Unit and sales by developing and implementing the necessary procedure changes within the underwriting unit to support them.
6. Respond to appeals on underwriting decisions presented by the underwriting staff.
· Team leadership and development skills are crucial as most case decisions are delegated.
· Advanced underwriting knowledge is required for case decisions not delegated.
· Good business judgment in applying appropriate discretion to case-by-case business decisions is required.
· Human relations skills are important in developing effective relationships with outside units.
· Ability to develop operational and reporting expertise in both markets
· Expanded leadership competencies to manage underwriters in both segments - broadening scope to include an understanding of talent development nuances, effective new business pipeline management across teams, and financial awareness across all of Regional Market
· Broad knowledge of key broker/GA/TPE relationships for two sales offices.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.