Associate Director - Asset Manager - Commercial Real Estate
Role Value Proposition:
MetLife Investment Management (MIM) is one of the largest institutional investors and asset managers in the world, with over $669 billion in combined managed assets, and has consistently generated superior returns for both policyholders and shareholders. The enterprise has more than 900 dedicated professionals with extensive experience and expertise across public and private fixed income and private assets, including real estate. Visit us at [Register to View] style="color:blue;text-decoration:underline">www.metlife.com/investments to learn more.
Global Real Estate and Agricultural Investments maintain a portfolio invested in commercial real estate and agricultural mortgages, as well as real estate equities. Real Estate Investments sources and manages commercial real estate investments through seven regional field offices in the U.S. and International field offices in London, Tokyo, Mexico City and Santiago. The Asset Manager will be responsible for asset management/owner’s representative decision making, overseeing the leasing, property management, construction management, reporting, valuation and overall accounting and other business transactions on an assigned portfolio of commercial investment properties, both existing and under development. Property types may include office, retail, multi-family and industrial. On-going responsibilities include overseeing third party property management and leasing teams; developing property business plans, valuations, budgets, complying with all reporting and accounting requirements; working with JV partners; the acquisitions team and sale efforts (as may apply).
- Develop and implement, through third party property and leasing teams, property level strategies for leasing, operations, and capital expenditures.
- Work with third party developers and joint venture partners to oversee all aspects of new developments and major renovations.
- Budgeting, forecasting and expense management to maximize recurring net income.
- Manage leasing and management teams to maximize property performance (income/value).
- Evaluate leasing opportunities and negotiate leases.
- Negotiate legal documents and contracts. Coordinate and manage various internal/external resources and consultants (i.e., attorneys, environmental, construction).
- Review third party property valuations or prepare Argus valuations for assigned portfolio.
- Coordinate the sales process of designated assets including engaging brokers, evaluating bids, negotiating contracts, managing due diligence, and closing.
- Participate in pre-acquisition due diligence. Manage the selection of property management and leasing teams by securing proposals, conducting interviews, and preparing management agreements. Manage property transition process by working with internal bank relations, insurance, and accounting departments.
- Regularly update or meet with internal Portfolio Managers and external JV Partners and MetLife clients about the performance of their assets.
- Assure timely and accurate financial data.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Results-driven professional with 7-10 years of experience in asset management of large and complex commercial real estate assets with some development experience.
- Significant experience managing and leading leasing and property management teams.
- In-depth experience in lease negotiation and structuring.
- Strong real estate valuation and underwriting skills.
- Strong interpersonal (both oral and written) skills.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Argus, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of building systems and operations issues.
- Ability to take on multiple assignments at the same time each with specific deadlines.
- Basic understanding of standard real estate legal documents such as leases, management agreements, joint venture agreements, construction contracts and appraisals.
- Team player willing to assist other staff members and volunteer for enterprise-wide committees and initiatives.
- Active involvement in the local commercial real estate community.
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable business-related field; MSRE or MBA preferred.
- To post for this position, you need the proper work authorization to work in the country where the position is located and not require relocation assistance.
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.