Senior Manager, Retail Credit
Address:1200 E. Warrenville Road
Job Family Group:Audit, Risk & Compliance
Provides independent, objective review and adjudication of credit applications and transactions for an assigned portfolio within credit limits or makes credit recommendations and escalates as required. Ensures the credit quality of the assigned portfolios are maintained within the Bank’s risk tolerance, policies & procedures, and meet financing guidelines. Supports credit adjudication operations and initiatives. Provides training and support to teams and channels where the applications and transactions originate.
- Fosters a culture aligned to BMO purpose, values and strategy and role models BMO values and behaviours in all that they do.
- Ensures alignment between values and behaviour that fosters diversity and inclusion.
- Regularly connects work to BMO's purpose, sets inspirational goals, defines clear expected outcomes, and ensures clear accountability for follow through.
- Builds interdependent teams that collaborate across functional and operating groups to create the highest value for all stakeholders.
- Attracts, retains, and enables the career development of top talent.
- Improves team performance, recognizes and rewards performance, coaches employees, supports their development, and manages poor performance.
- Works with stakeholders to ensure effectiveness of risk management controls, analysis and monitoring on a transactional and portfolio basis.
- Provides credit coaching, training and support to direct team and other stakeholders as required.
- Provides strategic input into business decisions as a trusted advisor.
- Makes recommendations to senior leaders on strategy and new initiatives, based on an in-depth understanding of the business/group.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant regulations and policies.
- May network with industry contacts to gain competitive insights and best practices.
- Influences and negotiates to achieve business objectives.
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
- Recommends business priorities, advises on resource requirements and develops roadmap for strategic execution.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Conducts independent analysis and assessment to resolve strategic issues.
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Develops and manages comprehensive information management systems; designs and/or leads initiatives to improve processes, analysis and reporting.
- Integrates information from multiple sources to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis and/or streamlined reporting.
- Defines business requirements for analytics & reporting to ensure data insights inform business decision making.
- Employs systems (e.g. customized exception reports, tracking reports etc.) to manage information.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Leads change management programs of varying scope and type, including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Leads the development of the communication strategy focusing on positively influencing or changing behaviour.
- Collaborates across BMO to develop communications strategies and ensure consistency of messaging, in order to positively influence or change behaviour.
- Leads the execution of operational programs; assesses and adapts as needed to ensure quality of execution.
- Supports credit due diligence activities for bank acquisitions or integration.
- Reviews and communicates decisions on credit transactions with rationale that can be understood and explained to customers.
- Identifies and advises on terms, conditions and collateral requirements for the transaction decision as well as opportunities for cross-selling and/or alternative solutions to meet client’s needs.
- Keeps abreast of economic and market developments within the portfolio to inform decision making and credit risk policies.
- Provides approval for exceptions according to established policy and standards.
- Monitors the credit portfolio through transaction review & approval to ensure compliance with the Bank’s lending policies and procedures.
- Provides credit risk coaching and advice to sales & service employees to increase awareness of risk, policy, and knowledge of structuring transactions.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Gathers and formats data into regular and ad-hoc reports, and dashboards.
- Monitors and tracks performance and addresses any issues.
- Executes work to deliver timely, accurate, and efficient service.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Oversee credit qualifications for the business unit this team supports.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically 7+ years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Credit Qualifications and associated credit knowledge and skills according to the established qualification standards.
- In-depth / expert knowledge of banking products & services.
- In-depth / expert knowledge of industry trends and regulations.
- In-depth / expert knowledge of credit portfolio management policies & procedures, and financing guidelines.
- Proven leadership skills and highly developed coaching skills.
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration - In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth / Expert.
We’re here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at [Register to View] .
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank N.A. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.