Job Description BAE Systems Intelligence & Security (I&S) has an exciting opportunity for a senior technical leader, Vice President of Engineering, to provide vision and guidance to the I&S Sector’s Engineering Function.
This is a new position in order to meet our business’s growing scope and challenges. The Engineering function will coordinate with three distinct I&S business areas and multiple supporting functions to enable our engineering processes, support business winning and technology, and guide workforce planning for systems, services, and product support across a large portfolio of business and technologies.
The Vice President of Engineering, will report to the I&S sector Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, at I&S headquarters in McLean, VA.
Provide vision, strategy, and leadership for the I&S Engineering function to achieve customer commitments, meet shareholder expectations, and achieve growth expectations. Foster a culture of innovative problem solving, performance excellence, and continuous improvement to deliver affordable, effective, and dependable outcomes.
Specific focus and coordination to enable our engineering processes, support business winning and technology, and guide workforce planning.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Engineering processes to include Process Document Source Library (PDSL) Oversight, Produce Lifecycle Management (PLM), Basis of Estimate (BOE) Oversight, Lifecycle Management (LCM) Eng Framework, Independent Design Review (IDR)/Technical Baseline Review (TBR) Chairs/Assessors, LCM Training, Engineering Metrics;
- Business Winning and Technology to include Business Winning (BW)/Business Development (BD) Support, Technology Roadmaps, Communities of Practice (CoPs) and Centers of Expertise (CoEs);
- Workforce planning to include talent management, recruiting, attrition, career progression, engineering staff health, engineering skills health, critical skills, core skills.
- Advises and partners with management in the conception, creative pursuit, and execution of programs using a wide variety of engineering disciplines; provides guidance and expertise in resolving highly complex problems.
- Provides guidance and direction to senior Engineering Leadership staff. Span of direct reports is expected to start at 1-2, with the potential to grow to 5-10. Responsible for fostering the development and engagement of all employees in the organization. Participates personally in a variety of meetings with military and commercial hierarchy for appropriate interface and sound customer relations.
- Offers expertise and support to the Business Development, Program Management, Quality and Operations/Manufacturing organizations and associated areas in the pursuit and execution of profitable contracts for existing and new product developments.
- Dedicated to collaboration across functional and business boundaries to support and drive I&S strategic objectives.
- Measure and regularly report out on organizational results at senior levels. Provides input and support to the company’s long and short term goals and provides the leadership to achieve those goals.
- Attract, develop, and retain high-performing, diverse talent; build future leaders through development, mentoring, and modeling excellence. Lead through inspiration and encouragement to enhance employee performance, engagement, and overall team optimization.
- Demonstrate a leading role in promoting adherence to the company’s ethical standards and business practices; ensure compliance with the BAE Systems Operational Framework and all other policies and requirements; provide for good stewardship of the assets of the business.
- Represent BAE Systems and the I&S sector in a broad variety of internal and external engagements, committees, and outreach programs.
- Maintain a safe work environment and ensure compliance with safety objectives and policies.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline and a minimum of 15 years of senior-level management experience leading technical and/or program teams. Masters or advanced degree in a technical discipline is preferred.
- Skilled communicator who influences and shapes the image of a large and complex technical function.
- Must have experience identifying, establishing, and building important relationships with senior level executives and stakeholders, as well as the ability to collaborate within and across organizational boundaries.
- This role demands engaged and visionary leadership and the ability to collaborate, influence, negotiate, shape, gain commitment to action, and be decisive at all levels.
- Negotiates mainly internally, at higher levels, and occasionally with external relationships.
- Strong executive presence and excellent written and oral communication skills with experience presenting to CEO level executives and customers.
- Proven experience building and leading large, high-performing teams; strong coaching and mentoring skills with the ability to achieve results through others.
- Top Secret clearance is required with ability to obtain SCI.
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.