Job Description BAE Systems, a long-standing, systems engineering/systems integration trusted partner of the U.S. Navy’s Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) Program Executive Office Integrated Warfare Systems (PEO IWS) organization, is pursuing an opportunity with PEO IWS that underscores our company’s pre-eminent technical authority providing comprehensive engineering rigor and oversight of both the AEGIS Combat System (ACS) and AEGIS Weapon System (AWS). PEO IWS seeks to transform ACS integration process by establishing a foundation for future combat systems integration with the Government-led joint integration test team. The BAE Systems approach, rooted in relevant experience and innovative SE/SI techniques, positions our team to be competitive. Our team, however, requires necessary talent in critical positions to ultimately secure this highly visible, nationally strategic opportunity.
BAE Systems has an immediate need for a highly qualified Software Architecture System Manager. The Software Architecture System Manager will assist PEO IWS deploy Model Based Systems Engineering techniques to support system and software architecture transition for DevSecOps and a Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipeline. PEO IWS has created, “The Forge” which is a Government furnished virtual/physical ecosystem for Agile software development. The Software Architect will contribute to this enterprise software factory supporting surface force combat system development. Additionally, the individual will provide expertise in the final phases of CI/CD pipeline to support software installation about US Navy ship’s and obtain Fleet User feedback on the integrated combat system.
In your role, you will be responsible for:
Qualified candidates should also possess knowledge of software architectures, software industry best practices, and emerging software technologies. Experience in Agile processes and DevSecOps is also desired. As a committed leader within Software Engineering, you will help guide engineers in their career advancement as well as push software initiatives and best practices across the discipline. Our organization focuses on career development of our software engineers and advancement of the craft of software engineering. You will work alongside other highly motivated engineers passionate about software and protecting our military service personnel.
- Managing a group of software engineers, providing them with technical mentoring, career guidance and performance feedback. We want to grow our team and you will be integral in interviewing and hiring new software team members.
- Being an engaged member of the Software Engineering leadership team, shaping the software culture and process while ensuring the staffing and technical needs of the business are met. You will work with our programs using your technical skills and experience to ensure the design, implementation, and sustainment of our software solutions meet and exceed customer expectations.
- Engaging in opportunities for technical engagement in architecture and design reviews, strategic initiative implementation, bid and proposal development, next generation solution planning and other areas that align with your skills and career aspirations.
#1.2.22PEO/IWS/JHRequired Education, Experience, & Skills
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering
- 10 years of experience integrating complex software projects into an enterprise solution
- 5 years of experience leading advanced technical teams
- Broad knowledge of current software development trends in Agile Software Development and applications to DEVSECOPS
- Familiarity with Site reliability, cloud-based development management of distributed teams
- Designing and developing architecture solutions for complex applications and IT systems.
- Identifying future technology and architectural advancements to support architectural strategy, technology migration, and integration and evolution.
- Providing strategic direction, roadmap, & standards within area of responsibility.
- Developing high-level system specifications.
- Creating and maintaining architecture design and standards.
- Analyzing user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve existing systems.
- Model Based System Engineering principles
- Enterprise Architecture frameworks and principles
- Systems Engineering Lifecycle (SELC) support
- Use of Digital Twin to enable virtual designs
- Ensuring developed systems comply with the enterprise technical architecture
- Assisting in keeping senior management apprised of project or program status
#1.2.22PEO/IWS/JHAbout BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
- IT system automation to include artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML)
- Experience with automated testing
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
- Automation tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Terraform, etc.)
- Knowledge of Security Development Operations (SecDevOps) on iterative development projects
- Cloud design, implementation, and configuration
- Knowledge of Infrastructure as Code
- Knowledge of Agile development principles.
- Knowledge of modern software languages (e.g. Java, C, C++, C#, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Systems engineering tools (DOORS, JAMA, JIRA, etc.)
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.