Job Description BAE Systems, one of the world's largest defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Manufacturing Manager for our chemical manufacturing operations at Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Radford, VA. This role will work with the Director of Manufacturing to plan, manufacture, and deliver product for government and commercial customers, maintain the Manufacturing Plant in a high state of readiness to meet emergency and replenishment requirements, and to ensure safety of operations for all personnel assigned to any of the 5 manufacturing areas at the facility (Acids, Nitrocellulose, Solvent Propellants, Solventless Propellants / Rockets, and Nitroglycerin).
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- The Manufacturing Manager is responsible for the oversite of multiple production areas.
- Works with owners and senior management in the development and formulation of long and short-range planning, policies, programs and objectives.
- Develops the manufacturing plan and establishes procedures for maintaining high standards of manufacturing operations.
- Directs and monitors area managers to accomplish goals of the manufacturing plan.
- Directs and coordinates various programs essential to manufacturing procedures (e.g., safety, employee performance, training, housekeeping, cost reduction, worker involvement, security, etc.).
- Managing manufacturing operations, ensuring delivery targets are met.
- Overall responsibility for production scheduling and resource loading for the production areas.
- Ensuring that all operations are conducted in conformance with all state and federal safety and environmental requirements.
- Works cross-functionally to ensure the production priorities are met.
- Facilitate problem solving and collaboration within the production area.
- Communicate status, task accomplishment, and direction.
- Provide status reporting of team activities against the manufacturing plans and schedules.
- Manage by metrics to meet delivers and control manufacturing costs to include both direct and indirect elements.
- Works with government staff, customers, and strategic suppliers.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and coaching within a multidisciplinary team structure.
- Foster an environment of trust, open communication, and creative thinking within an inclusive team environment.
- Coach and help develop team members.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree and 10 years of experience or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Manufacturing Management/Leadership.
- Experience in Chemical Engineering/Manufacturing.
- Experience working with manufacturing based technology, processes, and principles.
- Experience in Program/Project Management: planning, scheduling, budgeting, resource allocation, and reporting.
- Experience in People Management/Leadership: hiring, training, coaching, developing, and mentoring staff.
- Knowledge of a variety of manufacturing activities to include scheduling, personnel relations, budgeting, and workplace safety.
- Ability to communicate with leadership and employees, including manufacturing expectations and statuses.
- Ability to negotiate, as applicable, with collective bargaining agreement members and strategic partners to ensure work is performed as defined.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict and identify problem solving resolutions.
- Ability to deliver analytics and reports to senior leadership.
- Ability to champion safety and process improvement initiatives.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
- Professional Certifications a plus.
- Degree in Chemical Engineering a plus.
- Experience in Defense industries a plus.
- Knowledge of Military Specifications for Explosives, Hazardous Material Transportation Requirements, and Department of Transportation (DOT) Regulations a plus.
- Experience in Process Safety Management (PSM) (OSHA Safety Requirements for Hazardous Chemicals) a plus.
- Experience with Unions a plus.
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.