Job Description We are seeking a highly motivated Data Engineer to join BAE Systems Shared Services Inc. You will be working in the newly created Data Management group under the Chief Data Officer. You will be part of a team that is a trusted advisor to our clients, helping build and maintain lasting and trusted relationships and become a trusted partner to the business in our journey to offering exceptional analytics products. You will implement methods to improve data reliability and quality, working to combine raw information from different sources to create consistent and machine-readable formats. You will be working in a fast-paced environment, solving new and challenging problems on a daily basis and will be leveraging your problem solving skills consistently.
What are you responsible for?
• Collaborate with business users on creating data pipelines by aggregating large data sets from various source systems, such as ERP, MES, HRIS etc.
• Create supporting documentation, such as metadata and diagrams of entity relationships, business processes, and process flow.
• End to end ownership of the data pipeline, its integrity, its seamless availability, and in case of discrepancy, resolve them with the highest sense of urgency.
What will make you successful in the role?
• You have 2-5 years of experience in data engineering/ modeling.
• You have hands on experience building data pipelines with cloud-based data warehouses AWS experience preferred, specifically leveraging S3, Glue, IAM, EC2, DDB, and other related data solutions.
• You consider yourself A+ in SQL or SQL-based languages, Python, for performance tuning of SQL queries.
• You have hands on experience with reporting/visualization solutions like Tableau, Power BI, QlikView, etc.
• You have hands on experience working with ETL/ELT concepts of data integration, consolidation, enrichment, and aggregation in large volume data sets.
• You have an extremely good grasp of various data storage technologies - e.g. RDBMS (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.), columnar, tabular, document store, NoSQL.
• Process oriented with great documentation skills
• Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
• 4+ years of AWS experience, specifically S3, Glue, IAM, EC2, DDB, and other related data solutions.
• You have experience working with Redshift, DBT, Snowflake, Apache Airflow, Azure Data Warehouse, or other industry standard big data or ETL related technology.
• You have hands on data validation skills to verify data integrity, understand discrepancies, and resolve them with the highest sense of urgency.
• You have experience in role based access control best practices and role development.
• You have experience working in Data Governance and privacy related projects.
• You have hands on experience of building Data Pipelines with DAG designs.
• You have a strong understanding of Normalized/Dimensional model disciplines and similar data warehousing techniques.
• Excellent written, verbal communication and Interpersonal skills
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Required Education, Experience, & Skills
• BS in Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical field with at least 8 years of relevant experience
• 4+ years of Python or Java development experience
• 4+ years of SQL or SQL based languages experience
• Experience with AWS cloud services (i.e., S3, Glue, IAM, EC2, DDB, Redshift, RDS, etc.)
About BAE Systems, Inc.BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.