Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (80966BR)
Reporting to the BAE Systems Norfolk Ship Repair Environmental Manager, the Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator works independently to operate and maintain a Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF) wastewater treatment system to effectively treat production wastewater to ensure compliance with permit conditions and water quality regulations. The Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator will also collect samples, complete chain of custody forms for laboratory testing, analyze data, assist in and/or prepare reports for management review and submittal to regulatory agencies.
- Possession of a Virginia Class III Wastewater Works Operator License or higher is required.
- Conducts treatability tests on influent samples to determine if wastewater is acceptable for treatment.
- Orchestrates influent waste streams for collection, treatment, and discharge.
- Frequently interfaces with maintenance, equipment suppliers, vendors and services to troubleshoot and resolve system problems of a complex nature and scope and is relied upon to identify and pursue improvements to system, methodologies and schedules.
- Develops and implements preventive and predictive maintenance programs to preserve equipment condition.
- Establishes and maintains spare parts for availability.
- Monitors system performance and takes corrective actions to assure function and effluent quality.
- Responsible for housekeeping and maintaining safety equipment.
- Develops and maintains operating records for demonstration to regulatory authorities.
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety objectives and policies.
- Shares responsibility of self-development with immediate supervisor.
- Assists the department with facility inspections/audits for compliance with applicable regulations pertaining to air, water, and hazardous waste.
- May act as coordinator of the emergency response team during environmental incidents.
- Occasionally required to be able to lift or move up to 35 lbs.
- Regularly required to sit and stand and frequently required to move about and reach with hands and arms.
- May occasionally be required to balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or climb ladders.
- Must be available to work weekends and extended shifts to meet production needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must possess a Virginia Class III Wastewater Works License or higher.
- Graduation from high school and six (6) years of experience in water treatment plant operations
- 40 Hour HAZWOPER Certification
- DOT Safe Transport of Hazardous Materials
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Personnel Training
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.