Core Network Engineer - TS/SCI with Poly Required
The National Solutions Group at Leidos is seeking a Core Network Engineer to lead Network design, analysis, installation and support to network communications systems (LAN, WAN, VOIP). This position will perform a wide range of engineering duties to include network architecture, monitoring the networks, and enterprise networking. The Core Network Engineer provides technical expertise in all areas of the customer's Network, Intranet and Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system. This role provides network engineering to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary engineering support to ensure network availability. This position may supervise other network support and client server specialists and plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures
The Core Network Engineer will be responsible to:
• Analyze and provide reports on new network technologies to enhance network capabilities
• Coordinate, and manage installation and/or reconfiguration of hardware and software elements of networks
• Work directly with the customer in all aspects of day-to-day activities
• Evaluate new network technologies and makes recommendations to project managers regarding the integration of these technologies into the existing network
• Plan new network configurations and integration into existing networks to maintain optimal performance
• Perform a full range of upgrades in accordance with existing network architecture
• Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements
• Perform long term O&M activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution
• Utilize complex network analysis tools to identify and correct problems in the network
• Prepare troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels
• Provide fault management for the network and supports performance management functions.
• Respond, isolate, and resolve network troubles
• Monitor alarms and alerts to identify network elements causing network degradation or failure
• Maintain logs and records associated with reported problems or situations
• Execute reporting functions and data input associated with network management
• Monitor security posture of the network, report suspected violations to designated authority
• Coordinate with configuration management and implementation teams
• Perform operator-level maintenance on components for network management systems
• Analyze network characteristics (e.g., traffic, connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes, and throughput); recommend procurement, removals, and modifications to network components
• Maintain operating systems, communications software, data base packages, compilers, assemblers, and utility programs
• Apply software, hardware, and standards information technology skills in the analysis, specification, development, integration, and acquisition of open systems for Information Management (IM) applications
• Ensure these systems and applications are compliant with standards for open systems architectures, reference models, and profiles of standards - such as the IEEE Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model - as they apply to the implementation and specification of IM solutions on the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application
• Evaluate and recommend COTS applications and methodologies that can be acquired to provide interoperable, portable, and scalable information technology solutions
• Active TS/SCI with Polygraph
• Security+ Certification
• Experience in design, maintenance, and operation of small to medium sized networks
• Experience with military networks, CISCO routing and switching, and network troubleshooting
• Knowledge of OSPF, BGP, VOIP or Multicast protocols.
• Knowledge of Cisco Switching/Routing product line
• Strong understanding and in-depth knowledge of IP network/subnet addressing
• Hands-on experience diagnosing network related issues
• Ability to work independently to resolve technical issues in a dynamic environment.
• Requires a Bachelors degree and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or a Masters degree with 6+ years of prior relevant experience.
• Experience with Cisco / Brocade / Juniper Network Platforms
• Experience with ACS/TACACS Servers
• Experience with Cisco lOS/ Brocade OS / JUNOS
• CCNA or other advanced networking certificate.
• Experience with HP NNM, Cisco Prime, and CiscoWorks
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.