Software Engineer (SWE) Skill Level 2 (81784BR)
- Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
- Debug existing software and correct defects.
- Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
- Write or review software and system documentation.
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
- Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories.
- Has experience with agile development processes.
- Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
- Serve as team lead at the level appropriate to the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Design and development of relational and non-relational database applications.
- Use of orchestration frameworks such as Spring and Kafka.
- Familiarization with queue management systems
- Develop or implement algorithms to meet or exceed system performance and functional standards.
- Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
- Develop software solutions by analyzing system performance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
- Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance
- Design, develop, and modify software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions
- Java development using the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
- Development of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) applications
- Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian).
- Software development using continuous integration practices
- Experience with container technologies (ie. Docker).
- Unix shell scripting
- Development of event driven or data driven analytics
- Development of cloud-based solutions and technologies.
- Design or implement complex algorithms requiring adherence to strict timing, system resource, or interface constraints. Perform quality control on team products.
- Recommend and implement suggestions for improving documentation and software development process standards.
- Oversee one or more software development teams and ensure the work is completed in accordance with the constraints of the software development process being used on any particular project.
- Confer with system engineers and hardware engineers to derive software requirements and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements, and interfaces.
- Coordinate software installation on a system and monitor performance to ensure operational specifications are met.
- Experience using the Linux CLI
- Experience writing scripts using Bash/Python
- Experience developing with Java and or Python in a Linux environment
- Experience with CI/CD principles, methodologies, and tools such as GitLab CI
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
- Experience with data parsing/transforming technologies such as JSON, XML, CSV
Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus three (3) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity
Seven (7) years of experience as a SWE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with SQL technologies such as MySQL, MariaDB, and PostgreSQL
- Experience with Key/Value and Time-series databases such as OpenTSDB
- Experience with Git Source Control System
- Experience with the Atlassian Tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence)
- Experience with metrics visualization technologies such as Grafana and Kibana
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.