Security Technologist Manager ( R-00088291-OTHLOC-PL-2D0275 )
Looking for an opportunity to make an impact? Join the Leidos Civil IT (CivIT) team in accelerating cybersecurity in a changing world where we make a difference by protecting critical networks for our government and commercial customers.
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Are you ready to challenge yourself with an organization that encourage & support career growth on an enterprise-wide scale? Your greatest work is ahead!
We are in search of a Security Technologist Manager to join our National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Cyber Security Center (NCSC) Engineering & Operations team. As a Security Technologist Manager, you will play a valuable part in supporting the NCSC’s mission to protect NOAA networks, computers, programs and data from cyber-attack damage and unauthorized access. Additionally, you will provide technical and managerial leadership and guidance to a high performing Security Operations & Engineering (SOE) team.
As a people leader, you are expected to empower, motivate, and encourage every voice on your team. Additionally, you will be responsible for fostering an inclusive team culture that exudes diversity, equity & inclusion. Inspirational leadership and respecting the people that you lead is CRITICAL in this role as it is necessary to support the great culture that exists today across the team and the customer.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive while being challenged, keep reading!
Leidos Civil Group helps modernize infrastructure, systems, and security. We are a trusted partner to both government and highly regulated commercial customers looking for transformative solutions in mission IT, security, software, engineering, and operations. We work with our customers including the FAA, DOE, NASA, National Science Foundation, Transportation Security Administration, Custom and Border Protection, airports, and electric utilities to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. To explore and learn more about the Leidos Civil Group, click [Register to View] target="_blank">here!
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career, share your resume with us today!
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Provide technical and managerial oversight to a team of security infrastructure, network, firewall engineers, and team leads
- Provide guidance, coaching, and professional development of a cross-functional security operations & engineering team
- Interface with customer and leadership on a daily basis
- Assist SOE Sr. Manager as needed
- Manage staff of about 20 FTEs and their technical performance
- Foster your team’s Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities (KSAs) to help drive retention, growth, career mobility, and success at Leidos
- Provide reporting and metrics deliverables to leadership and senior management.
- Assist with team resource management and project prioritization
- Assist with change management control
- Provide oversight and control in the design, development, and recommendations for integrated system solutions, ensuring proprietary/confidential data and systems are protected
- Engage the client, where applicable, in the strategic design process to translate security and business requirements into technical designs
- Support the project lifecycle for infrastructure and technology projects by assigning resources and providing technical guidance and tasking.
- Oversee the configuration and validation of secure systems.
- Attend team lead sessions and act as a conduit with the program leadership team
- Lead the testing of security products/systems to detect computer and information security weaknesses.
- Facilitate and delegate daily ticket queue management, tasks, and projects where applicable
- Manage and react to system monitoring alerting as needed
- Coach, develop, and train staff on standard operating procedures, best practices, ticket documentation process, technical workarounds, root cause analysis, and corrective actions
- Monitor system checkouts and testing of system upgrades and patches within operational & engineering environments to ensure timeliness and quality maintenance.
- Coordinate with enterprise partners on system outages and make decisions on system failover to different availability zones or data centers when applicable
- Ensure documentation relative operational procedures, engineering procedures, services, etc., are written and centrally accessible and updated as necessary
- Proactively manage the team’s training, professional development, performance management and evaluation.
- Advise and participate in recruiting and onboarding activities for new staff
- Must be able to weigh business needs against security concerns and articulate challenges to customers as well as leadership
Required Experience, Skills, and Education:
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information technology, or other Cyber Security field from an accredited university and 5+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 3+ years of prior relevant experience. Additional years of relevant experience and/or technology certifications may be considered in lieu of degree
- Must have a fundamental understanding of accepted security practices, troubleshooting issues, attack vectors, and customer support
- Knowledge of security system design tools, methods, and techniques
- Knowledge of new and emerging information technology (IT) and cybersecurity technologies
- Knowledge of specific operational impacts of cybersecurity lapses
- Knowledge of system life cycle management principles, including software security and usability
- Knowledge of capabilities and requirements analysis
- Knowledge of basic system, network, and OS hardening techniques
- Understanding of accepted security practices, troubleshooting issues, attack vectors, and customer support
- Knowledge, skill, and experience in administering various operating systems, SIEM solutions, Threat Intelligence, vulnerability management scanning solutions, virtualization, storage, web filtering, and certification management.
- Poise and ability to act calmly and competently in high-pressure, high-stress situations.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, communication and people skills
- Skill in conducting vulnerability scans and recognizing vulnerabilities in security systems
- Skill in determining how a security system should work (including its resilience and dependability capabilities) and how changes in conditions, operations, or the environment will affect these outcomes
- Skill in independently making configuration updates to ensure system availability requirements
Abilities (Demonstrated Experience):
- Proven security experience/ability with NOAA and Department of Commerce customers
- Ability to write and verbally communicate information security and risk-related concepts effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to share meaningful insights about the context of an organization’s threat environment that improve its risk management posture
- Ability and drive to quickly learn new software and IT concepts
- Proven experience in administering various operating systems, SIEM solutions, Threat Intelligence, vulnerability management scanning solutions, virtualization, storage, web filtering, and certification management
- US Citizenship is required
- Knowledge of NIST SP 800 53 series or ISO 27000 series documents
- Windows 10 security best practices and configurations
- Understanding of advanced threat detection in an enterprise environment
- Understanding of malware families, their types, and the threat they pose
- Must be a US Citizen and have at a minimum a Secret clearance or be able to obtain clearance before starting position
- Fairmont, WV
- Silver Springs, MD
- Boulder, CO
- Remote option available pending customer’s approval
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.