Job Description Job Summary
The Tools Integration Software Engineer will perform software development activities as a member of an agile development team. Development includes the full range of turning agile stories into implementable concepts, through development, testing and deployment of the new capabilities in this complex system. The Tools Integration Software Engineer will be responsible for creating COTS product tool workflows for the development and program management teams in setting up, tracking, and reporting on work progress across the program. This development effort enables all other development and management across the program. Following the TDD pattern our developers are responsible for implementing robust testing leveraging DEVOPS automation and use of test automation commercial tools, even applied to this tool integration effort. The selected individual will use COTS tool integration, script development, data normalization, data mapping, workflow development, and user interface (UI) development and a diverse array of structured, procedural, scripting, and declarative languages including Java, Python, Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), XML, and many others. The ideal candidate will have experience doing tool integration between COTS products and have an understanding of creating business process connections to aid in software development, project and program management.
The Tools Integration Software Engineer will be responsible for software development activities both individually as a member of an agile team. The software engineer will actively participate in program increment planning and related team activities. He/she will work with Systems Engineers to develop requirements for Tool Integration and analyze and study complex business and process requirements, use design software tools, create and manage data flow diagrams, and utilize other accepted design techniques with the use of Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE) tools, and will use sound software engineering principles to ensure that developed code is modifiable, efficient, reliable, understandable, fault tolerant, and reusable. The selected individual will provide software process management and control throughout the coding portion of the software development process and will promote code reuse and cross-program collaboration while reducing maintenance costs by creating common functions and shared actions for developers and testers. The selected individual will engineer, author, tune and document automation scripts in a development environment and deploy to the test/production bench.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Basic Qualifications
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Preferred Qualifications
- Specific experience with one or more of the following: Visual Basic, Java/JEE, Python, C/C++ , SQL, or Groovy
- Experience with User Interface development and databases and structures
- Experience working with XHTML, HTML, XML, XSLT
- Experience developing on Windows, and/or Linux operating systems
- Demonstrable experience doing COTS Tool Integration requiring custom code or scripting with several of the following: Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications, C#, Java, Python, PERL, PowerShell, Groovy, VBS
- Must have a strong understanding of sound software development principles and practices
- Must be able to plan and prioritize personal tasking and be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Must be an independent thinker, capable of performing high quality work, both independently and with a team, in a fast-moving environment
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
- Experience doing COTS Tool integration with Visual Basic, Visual Basic for Applications or Java
- Experience with high level requirements management including requirements decomposition, trade-off analysis, interface control, and testing and continuous integration
- Experience with project and program management processes for software development (e.g. Agile Scrum, Scaled Agile, Earned Value)
- At least 1 year of experience in software development on Agile teams using Agile Developer practices such as Pair Programming, TDD, Refactoring, and ATDD
- Experience with FITNesse, Mockito, Cucumber, Unified Functional Tester (UFT), Selenium
- Experience with Behavior Driven Development (BDD) or Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience with DevOps and Continuous Integration tooling
- Experience with the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology, SAFe Agilest Certification, or past experience as a member of an agile team
BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.