Fire Protection Technician ( R-00090118 )
The NISC IV program at Leidos is seeking a Fire Protection Technician to work in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Regional Office in Des Moines, WA.
The Fire Protection Technician will provide installation support to the FAA Seattle Terminal Engineering Center with project management and project planning for various Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) and Terminal Radar Approach Control Facilities (TRACON) installation and upgrade projects, and other National Airspace System (NAS) modernization projects.
Specific duties for this position include:
- Provide Fire Life Safety (FLS) Subject Matter Expertise (SME) support by analyzing feasibility, planning, and installation of FLS systems for various ATCT and TRACON projects throughout the Western Service Area (WSA).
- Prepare Fire Life Safety (FLS) drawings, and ensure quality and completeness of existing FLS engineering designs and drawings.
- Review plans for new Air Traffic Control Towers (ATCT) to verify compliance with the International Building Code (IBC), applicable Code of Federal Regulations (CFR’s), and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards.
- Perform site visits to ensure installation is following design and schedule, and completed project matches planned scope.
- Participate in construction meetings prior to and during construction for ATCT FLS upgrades, and advise FAA Resident Engineer on FLS concerns throughout construction.
- Analyze and review of 3rd party contractor’s fire alarm, fire stopping, and fireproofing submittals.
- Prepare risk assessments, and provide recommendations and proposals of actions or improvements to mitigate potential risks resulting from site, facility, and project/program changes.
We are seeking a talented and energetic candidate to work with the best and brightest employees around the country in creating innovative all-encompassing solutions for our programs. You will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth.
In this role, you will gain many intangible skills, such as time and task management, critical thinking and problem solving, the ability to communicate complicated problems in a concise manner, as well as solve complex problems using available tools.
Please Note: Must be able to work onsite in Des Moines, WA. The position is telework eligible for part of the work week with manager’s approval.
Travel - 50%
Education and Technical Requirements:
- Education: An Associate’s Degree specializing in fire protection engineering technology OR closely related engineering technology discipline will be considered with additional National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) professional qualifications.
- Professional Qualifications: Technician Certification at Level III in Fire Alarm Systems by NICET or higher. Must have 5+ years of prior relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to implement automatic fire detection and alarm systems in mission critical and business occupancies. This will include automatic fire detection, zoned notification and evacuation, emergency control functions, mass notification, and interoperability with other building systems.
- Ability to evaluate existing facility fire alarm systems and recommend improvements or corrections.
- Ability to monitor progress of fire alarm installations and report deficiencies and deviations from design plans.
- Knowledge of NFPA 72 Fire Alarm and Signaling Code.
- AutoCAD proficiency.
- Ability to obtain and/or Maintain Public Trust security clearance.
- Familiarity with FAA and the National Airspace System (NAS) is a plus not absolutely necessary.
- Microstation knowledge, particularly the ability to migrate Microstation files to AutoCAD files is not absolutely necessary but a plus.
- Experience with NFPA 75 and information technology facilities.
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.