Nuclear Surety Engineer
- Perform professional technical analysis or design reviews on one or more complex components or functional systems of products requiring the full use and wide application of established engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents in the field plus a working knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Devise new techniques and approaches and provide solutions to a wide range of technical problems by drawing on their own areas of technical specialty and consulting with other engineering specialists for technologies where they do not have in-depth expertise.
- Evaluate plans and criteria for technical activities in their specialty and recommend alternatives as required to comply with customer and company obligations. Participate in small projects or segments of major projects responsible for achievement of cost, schedule, and technical performance objectives.
- Review and coordinate work with other team members to ensure progress is maintained to achieve specified aims; prepare data for reports on technical findings, recommendations, accomplishments and progress measured against specific plans; perform assignments as required by contractual agreements.
- Attend conferences and meetings to represent assigned activity. Develop working group meeting agendas, prepare and consolidate briefing materials, provide meeting minutes, and draft answers to action items assigned by other agencies or organizations.
- Review and provide assessment and assistance to programs on items including: Nuclear Certification Impact Statements (NCIS); Certification Requirements Plans (CRP); Nuclear Safety Analysis Reports (NSAR); Nuclear Surety Evaluation Reports (NSER); Nuclear Surety Briefings; Point Papers; White Papers; Safety & Technical Surety Memoranda; Changes to the Master Nuclear Certification List (MNCL); Nuclear Certification Plans (NCP); Engineering Evaluation Reports (EER); Software Certification Plans (SCP); Technical Order (TO) change recommendations; Engineering Technical Analysis Requests (ETAR); compliance with applicable 91- series USAF Instructions; and the completion of assigned action items from safety mishap investigations.
- Author and publish white papers, formal analyses, and briefing materials to document engineering-based rationales to inform decision-makers in support of BAE Systems recommendations to our customer.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Nuclear Surety Section Lead.
Bachelor or Master of Science degree in computer science, information technologies, data processing, software engineering or electrical engineering or electronic engineering (ABET accredited), or physics and 0 - 3+ years (0 - 2+ years with a Master's degree) of directly related experience.
Able to work independently, demonstrate strong initiative, and organize daily tasks with minimal supervision
Strong communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to interact with team members, various levels of management, and clients with assorted levels of computer experience
Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Committed to results and success in accomplishing goals, as well as a fast learner with demonstrated ability to quickly learn technology and understand unique system requirements
Eligible candidates must be able to acquire a U.S. Government security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite; a current clearance is helpful, but not required). The Criteria for clearance is determined by the US Government
Familiarity with military technology and technical data
Demonstrated technical writing and presentation skills
Current U.S. Government Secret or higher security clearance desired (but not required)
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.