- Responsible for structural repairs and alterations on naval and commercial vessels.
- The primary tasks include the welding of newly installed structural members and plating, as well as the welding of re-installed temporary access openings.
- Other tasks include the repair of deteriorated plating by deposition of weld build-up, as well as the repair of defective welds by gouging and re-welding.
- Other tasks include the welding of outfitting items such as; electrical cableways, brackets, watertight hatches/doors, aircraft tie-down fittings, and many other components.
- All tasks require strict adherence to the company’s safety, health, and environmental policies and procedures.
- A structural welder should be able to read and utilize welding procedures and welding symbols.
- A structural welder should be able to safely and efficiently use an oxy-fuel torch to apply pre-heat to materials prior to welding.
- A structural welder should be able to safely and efficiently use air carbon arc gouging equipment to gouge welds.
- A structural welder should be able to safely and efficiently use electric and pneumatic grinders to prepare materials for welding, as well as to clean and contour finished welds.
- A structural welder should be able to use measuring tools and gauges to verify dimensions of weld joints in accordance with approved joint designs.
- A structural welder should be able to use weld gauges to verify weld size and quality in accordance with specifications.
- A structural welder should be able to utilize ceramic backing in the flat, horizontal, and vertical positions with the semi-automatic welding processes.
- A structural welder should be able to pass groove-weld qualification tests in all positions for multiple materials and processes, such as Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW) and Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) of high strength steel and stainless steel, as well as Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) of aluminum.
- Must be able to obtain DBIDS Access Card.
Demonstrate the ability to pass the following including FCAW with ceramic tape, single Vee and open butt in 2G and 3G positions.
fillet weld test stick and flux core in all positions. Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills High School Diploma Graduate or GED Equivalency Certificate/Diploma.About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.