Guidance Navigation Controls Engineer
- GNC System design, analysis, modeling, and simulation
- Apply knowledge of estimation techniques, such as Kalman Filtering, to provided aided navigation solutions, target state estimates and other observers for guided flight
- Apply digital signal processing techniques and navigation system error analysis to verify sensor and filter performance
- Conduct flight system performance analysis including nonlinear modeling, digital control, and system effectiveness analysis
- Perform post flight reconstruction and analysis to verify system flight test performance and validate flight simulation models
- Develop, modify, and maintain
- Software tools to include evaluation of nominal and Monte Carlo flight conditions at various levels of modeling fidelity
- GPS and telemetry processing tools for the reduction and analysis of flight test data
- Prepare presentations, reports, research, and other contract deliverables related to designs, analyses, and tests performed
- Typically a Master’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or Applied Mathematics or Applied Physics and 6+ years of experience in Guidance, Navigation or Controls theory, test and analysis
- Proven skills at developing, testing, and refining flight algorithms for guided projectiles or other high integrity flight systems (Navigation filters, track filters, 6DOF fly-out, autopilot approaches, guidance algorithms, tactical code development, and engagement simulations)
- Developed and demonstrated advanced aided navigation solutions with strapdown inertial measurement units (IMU’s)
- Experience performing systems engineering trade studies, analysis of alternatives, sensitivity analysis, etc.
- Relevant experience developing and verifying models of concept flight systems and subsystems that include,
- Seekers, radar systems, GPS/GNSS, launch platforms, inertial measurement units, magnetometers
- Navigation, upfinding, and air data estimation solutions
- Proficiency with modeling and simulation using Simulink and analysis and optimization in Matlab
- Working knowledge of C/C++
- Demonstrated presentation skills and experience interfacing with customer
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Position requires a proactive, self-starting, independent, flexible engineer with excellent interpersonal skills
- Relevant experience developing and verifying models of concept flight systems and subsystems that include
- Airframes, flight dynamics, environmental models, tail and canard control actuation systems
- Guidance, autopilot, fault detection, automated mode logic, and fuzing solutions
- Simulated complex missions in real-time and non-real-time for requirements analysis, stability analysis, and mission effectiveness analysis, and has developed, tested and delivered code for guided munition or other flight systems.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or Applied Mathematics or Applied Physics
- Recent task management experience in an engineering development environment (schedule and budget tracking/work package management)
- Current Department of Defense Secret Clearance
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.