Remote Distribution Engineer
**This role is 100% remote and can be performed from any location in the US **
No two career paths will ever look the same. At [Register to View] target="_blank">Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family with the [Register to View] target="_blank">benefits of working for a world-class employer. [Register to View] target="_blank">When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies.”
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain experience/expertise in:
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Project management
- Financial management
Leidos is seeking Distribution Engineers for electric utility design engineering. Work would include electric distribution utility design work package creation including, but not limited to overhead, URD, and underground cable/conduit design packages. Preferred experience would include assessment and development of design packages for pole replacements in varying environmental environments in compliance with any utility or client's engineering and construction specifications, coordination of conflicting utilities, work permit development, easement drawing creation and distribution system protection and coordination requirements. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), Structural modelling software (O Calc, Poleforeman, Spida Calc), and other client systems. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry estimates, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, estimating constructions costs and customer advocacy.
Distribution Engineer Responsibilities:
- Design construction work package development of electrical overhead and underground distribution systems (operating from 4kV through 21kV), mostly associated with programmatic work such as overloaded transformers, inspection and maintenance, joint use, and OH and UG hardening.
- Comply with quality control and safe work practices and maintain compliance with project scope, schedule and budget
Distribution Engineer Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree is required and two (2)+ years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree and relevant experience: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering (EIT/FE credentials is preferred)
- Reliable internet speed of at least 50Mbps from your home office or other remote work location
- Proven ability to communicate with clients and project teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience developing cost estimates for electrical distribution projects
- Experience with overhead to underground conversions, line hardening, conductor replacements, voltage conversions
- Engineering experience with structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand
- Experience with design tools such as Osmose O Calc, Poleforeman, SpidaCalc, PLSCAD, etc.
- Experience using 2D-CAD programs to perform electrical distribution design
- Experience utilizing utility standards, GO 95 and/or NESC
- Experience with projects in distribution design: using medium voltage switchgear, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects
- Experience with development of civil & electrical packages associated with complex cable/conduit in dense urban environments
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.