FAST Labs - Senior Principal Research Scientist - (Hybrid)
- Coordinate digital engineering efforts to integrate system performance and behaviors into operational analysis
- Lead the design and execution of mission-level modeling and simulation studies to assess system performance, inform design trades, and evaluate overall effectiveness
- Develop system models using MBSE principles and toolsets for use in multi-domain operational scenarios
- Integrate models with higher-level simulations executed in AFSIM, STK, and MATLAB
- Develop model specifications for establishing a repository of system models for use in various mission-level mod/sim frameworks and multiple classification levels
- Architect operational scenarios for mission level MS&A studies
- Execute and deliver analysis from mod/sim results to inform system design, requirements development, and CONOPS generation
- Conduct requirements analysis and architecture concept development in support of multi-domain pursuit efforts
- Manage teams that support programs and pursuits by creating models, simulations, and analysis products
- Work with program leadership to execute MS&A to support design validation and mission benefit analyses
- Develop new models and processes, enhance current tool capabilities, and perform analyses
- Support the development of technological concepts which improve system performance and mission capabilities
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Engineering, Math, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Science, or equivalent with 8+ years of experience working with complex EO/IR systems; or MS with 6+ years of experience; or Ph.D. with 4+ years of experience in the areas defined above.
- US Citizen with active Secret clearance.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software and systems engineers.
- Experience working independently and interacting effectively with project management to achieve project goals.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more optical system specialties; i.e. lasers, precision pointing of laser beams, design of pointing systems, performance testing of optical components and subsystems, atmospheric correction, optical communications, etc.
- Expertise in at least one optical application including infrared countermeasures, passive detection and tracking, LIDAR, coherent LIDAR, remote sensing, or laser communications.
- Experience implementing systems engineering practices and working knowledge of DoD product development lifecycle
- Modeling and simulation expertise in at least one common language (i.e. MATLAB, Mathcad, Mathematica, Python, C++, etc.)
- Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
- Demonstrated history of proposals, project capture, and customer interaction.
- Familiarity with model-based systems engineering (MBSE)
- Previous experience in frameworks for Operational Analysis (such as AFSIM and DIADS), sensor modeling (such as MATLAB), and system simulation
- Active Top Secret clearance.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.