Job Description This position is ideal for a software developer with a desire to work on a system that provides real operational impact on the world at large by assisting law enforcement in catching the worst of the worst.
Initial primary work will be automating the extraction, transformation, and load of large widely diverse data sets. The work supports the ingest of legacy data from standalone system to a cloud based system with end users crossing many time zones. Follow on work will involve expansion of data analytics capabilities for the new cloud based application.
Customer Job Description
• Work on development team to deliver customized applications using .NET C#, Python, SQL, and Lucene technologies.
• Design and develop application prototypes, utilities, and solutions across multiple environments using full life-cycle methodologies (requirements definition, design, development, testing, and implementation).
• Participate in internal design reviews and code reviews; perform unit testing and conduct system testing.
• Assist with and provide input to implementation plans and operational plans
• Create project work estimates, Report progress to program manager in a timely and effective manner
• Set priorities and resolve project issues, escalating when appropriate
Performs analysis of data sources and processes to ensure data integrity, completeness and accuracy. Identify and facilitate implementation of data reporting improvement opportunities.
• Documents business requirements in the form of specifications (operational and technical specifications) and obtains necessary input and approval.
• Develops methods of efficiently delivering data, including web based and standard report-based dissemination
• Develops and maintains report schedules, automate reports as necessary.
• Participates in interface projects (e.g. criteria development) with stakeholders; resolve interface errors as it relates to data abstraction.
• Interacts with internal and external customers to ensure continuous customer satisfaction.
• Provide feedback to the team regarding software application improvements and/or innovations.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills • Experience and desire to automate and execute complex extraction, transformation, and load of large diverse datasets using Python and other languages as needed
• Must be a strong written and verbal communicator
• 10+ years of experience in interactive web application development.
• Must be able to write SQL queries to pull data from the Cygnus MySQL database.
• 1+ years of working knowledge of Linux, Docker, Git, SourceTree, Gitflow and JetBrains developer tools.
• 1+ years of experience in querying and retrieving data from a Lucene based index. BS in Computer Science or similar technical.
• Experience creating tools, platforms, and environments for demos, product testing, and software releases.
• Experience creating products, utilities, scripts, and tools to automate builds, deployment, and testing.
• Experience building and maintaining development and testing environments and production-equivalent staging environments.
• Experience troubleshooting operational tests, releases, software defects, and other issues.
• Must have strong problem solving and analytical skills, as well as the ability to develop business requirements and specifications
• Ability to work on problems of limited scope and conduct analysis of data processes
• Ability to work independently to complete project activities; possessing initiative to address issues and opportunities
• Flexible and able to work under tight schedules to meet deadlines
• Ability to implement solutions and identify operational or management issues
• Creative, collaborative, team-oriented
• Ability and willingness to travel internationally, if needed, for two weeks at a time once or twice a yearPreferred Education, Experience, & Skills Preferred Education: Bachelor's Degree in one of the following areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer and Information Security, Computer Security, and/or Network Administration from an accredited university/college.
Minimum/General Experience: Recent work experience as a senior-level or technical lead in a related position on a major program, project, or activity. A minimum of seven (7) years recent experience in the direct performance of a major program, project, or activity relating to computer software development at the user and kernel level, computer programming, and /or computer digital forensicsAbout BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.