Unix Systems Administrator
Looking for an exciting opportunity to make an impact as a Unix Systems Administrator?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) has a potential upcoming opportunity for a Unix Systems Administrator located in Southwest Virginia.
We are searching for a Unix Systems Administrator who will install, configure, and maintain Unix systems and servers in support of multiple internal and external customers.
*This position has been opened to collect resumes of candidates for future/expected opportunities with 1901 Group and does not represent an active position at this time*
• Support Sr. administrators in the maintenance and management of remote systems.
• Assist in the application of Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) on remote hosts to ensure security compliance.
• Ensure that data center operations are sustained during all maintenance activities.
• Assist in the execution of all applicable Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) controls for systems. Submit any applicable Plan of Action and Milestone (POAM) where required.
• Assist Sr. administrators in the delivery of high availability for all server resources within the data center while ensuring confidentiality and integrity of the environment.
• Ensure all aspects of Disaster Recovery (DR) are operational and tested.
• Monitor health, performance and operational trends to proactively identify issues before they become incidents.
• Support tickets and manage incidents, service requests, and problems through their full life cycle.
• Troubleshoot end user incidents in depth to resolution and identify root cause.
• Perform incident analysis to determine possible cause and potential fix.
• Document status updates and communicate to necessary parties.
• Document troubleshooting steps and knowledge articles for Shared Desk and Help Desk teams.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance prior to start
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related field); equivalent experience considered in lieu of degree
• Bringing 4+ years of experience in Unix System Administration
• Knowledgeable in Docker and Kubernetes and how to leverage those technologies in a DevOps environment
• Previous experience applying system updates via YUM and RPM
• Understanding of network topology and its association with DNS
• Knowledgeable of how to partition disks using fdisk or gdisk and use basic LVM commands to create volume groups and logical volumes from physical volumes
• Ability to locate and interpret system log files to troubleshoot issues
• Understanding of Linux processes and the manipulation of them
• Understanding of MAN pages and how to use them
• Strong with user management skills through the command line and an understanding of Linux/AD authentication and the use of realmd/Kerberos
• Understanding of DNS and how to configure A Records and CNAMES in a zone file and how to query DNS via nslookup
• Understanding the management and configuration of SELinux and how it can affect application runtime and security
• Understanding and demonstrated ability to interpret and utilize scripting (e.g. Python, Bash, Perl, etc) to automate and streamline system administration
• US Citizenship required
Who Are We?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) prides itself on looking ahead of our competitors for the next wave of IT trends. We provide our employees with training and development opportunities, preparing them for upcoming technical challenges.
With primary office locations in Blacksburg and Reston, VA, our teams support customers from across the United States. Our innovative IT as-a Service delivery model is supported by industry certifications that ensure quality and efficient IT solutions.
We are transforming the delivery of IT services through the use of enterprise managed services that leverage the cloud to securely monitor, manage, and optimize complex IT environments.
The history of automation is what inspired the name of our company. 1901 was the year that another disruptive technology changed the world: the assembly line. Leveraging skills and materials in an efficient manner within a repeatable process that quadrupled output applies to IT services today.