Apple Endpoint Engineer (412515)
Are you a strong, result-oriented systems engineer with a passion for desktop/endpoint management solutions for Apple systems and devices? Do you prioritize the end-user experience while planning projects? Are you comfortable in a distributed, de-centralized IT environment?
Argonne National Laboratory is looking for a skilled Endpoint Systems Engineer who is comfortable adapting to a dynamic environment with a need for both short-term and long-term results. You will be part of a small Desktop Engineering team looking to grow its influence and leadership ability.
You should be comfortable with Apple-centric management tools (JAMF, Apple Business Manager, others). You will be expected to recommend new technologies, approaches, and techniques. Mobility, shortened software lifecycles, policy management, update management, improved environment insight, etc. will all be major concerns. You are expected to help transform the organization from a reactive endpoint management approach to anticipating needs, issues, and addressing them early.
Ultimately, you and the team will be responsible for the architecture, design, implementation, and strategies surrounding desktop/endpoint devices with a strong focus on growing into a strong end-user experience-based organization. We are a diverse, science-heavy environment balancing standardization versus flexibility, and reasonable trade-offs will need to be made to maintain a high level of user satisfaction. Over time, this group is expected to grow in size – both in personnel as well as device responsibility.
This role combines technical expertise, leadership and strategic skills, and a collaborative mindset while working with business and IT leaders across the Laboratory.
As a subject matter expert, this role leads the implementation, enhancement, and maintenance of enterprise-wide endpoint management technologies and services for Apple systems and devices. The incumbent is responsible for the development of strategic roadmaps for key services and technologies, providing leadership and holding accountability throughout their lifecycle – from inception to retirement; establishes and maintains multi-year roadmaps while gaining alignment across the organization; acts as an IT and business partner with the user community to determine solutions and strategies. The Endpoint Systems Engineer establishes and maintains regular written and in-person communications with IT leaders, service desk, cyber security, and individual team members regarding technical issues and planned changes. This role acts as a project leader on significant enterprise-scale projects and initiatives to translate roadmaps into class-leading IT solutions as well as provides technical and leadership mentoring to other team members across endpoint technologies and endpoint user experience initiatives.
- Experience with analysis, design, implementation, and maintenance of endpoint management services in an enterprise information technology environment
- Experience with managing operating systems and software lifecycles including deployment, configuration, maintenance, and best practices at a large scale
- Knowledge of systems analysis and design, including troubleshooting complex or multiple integrated systems and services
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance to individuals, teams, and managed service partners
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and techniques from the rapidly-changing endpoint management market
- Knowledge of networking, virtualization, and automation technology principles
- Experience with writing scripts and the software development lifecycle
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with rapidly changing priorities
- Oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with peers, subordinates, and all levels of management.
- Project management and time management skills with independent work capabilities
- Ability to learn and follow Laboratory and Department of Energy policies and procedures
- Ability to model Argonne's core values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Bachelor's Degree and 4 years of experience, or equivalent
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.