Principal Project Manager
Are you interested in being part of an innovative team that supports Westinghouse’s mission to provide clean energy solutions? At Westinghouse, we recognize that our employees are our most valuable asset and we seek to identify, attract and recruit the most qualified talent while recognizing and encouraging the value of diversity in the global workplace!
The Principal Project Manager is responsible for all project management processes on medium complexity projects or on a portion (i.e. work package) of highly complex projects. Supervise medium team sizes (average 10-30 team members) which may include project controls and sub-project managers. May serve as a Technical Inputs Lead for the medium complexity proposal projects as assigned. May be assigned overall project manager responsibility of a highly complex project in a deputy capacity (with direct guidance of a Program Manager or higher). Example project disciplines include Engineering, Field Services, Software, Innovation/Product Development, and Process Improvement. All project management is performed in accordance with the established Westinghouse policies, procedures, systems, and requirements.
Your Day to Day:
- Project planning
- Complete all aspects of planning process including authoring project plans and developing scope, schedule, and cost baselines.
- Project executing, monitoring and controlling
- Assume overall responsibility for profitability of contracts. Based on project plan, follow department protocols for acquiring team members to complete the work. Manage all aspects of project including scope, schedule, cost, risk, procurement, quality, resources, communications, and stakeholders through use of delegates/support as applicable. Interpret and transmit project/contract requirements, and subsequent changes, to functional groups following an integrated change management process. Prepare or oversee project cost expenditure forecasts and progress evaluations/projections (including Earned Value Management) to support project performance and financial reporting requirements. Review project expenditures for compliance with project baselines and scope. Promote teamwork and effective communication, including issuing and maintenance of project process metrics and process maps to ensure team, customer, and all stakeholders are kept informed of project status. Develop or oversee project databases, systems and procedures to ensure efficient handling and transmission of project correspondence and documentation between project team members.
- Project closing
- Properly close project by archiving work in financial, scheduling, document management, and resource management systems/tools. Perform final project quality assessment and report out. Identify and communicate opportunities for improvement, lessons, and risk avoidance for future work.
- Develop positive relationships with cross functional/product line team, customer, suppliers, Westinghouse in-country representation (for international projects), and other stakeholders to drive project to successful completion.
- Serve as single representative to customer, architect engineer, constructor and Westinghouse business areas in support of project. Interpret and transmit contract requirements, and subsequent changes, to functional groups. Integrate project’s objectives and actions through participation with other project groups in matters of common concern.
- Seek opportunities and implement continuous improvements to enhance project performance.
- Identify, assess, and implement improvement opportunities which will add value.
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree. Applicable disciplines are Project Management, Engineering, Business, Construction Management or related technical discipline.
- 5 years of experience as project manager leading and directing medium or high complexity projects to successful completion. 3 years in technical/engineering role and 2 years as project manager may be considered as equivalent.
- Preferred: 6 -10 years of experience as project manager in a technical industry such as engineering, manufacturing, nuclear or construction
- Advanced knowledge of Project Management Institute’s Project Management Body of Knowledge.
- Required Competencies:
- Driving for Results
- Employee Development
- Planning and Organization
- Strategic Thinking
- Advanced interpersonal skills such as effective verbal and written communications, ability to lead and direct complex team structures, able to develop relationships with stakeholders in upper management positions, able to analyze problems, establish facts, and make complex decisions with little to no supervision.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft® Office tools. Strong working knowledge in project schedule, cost and risk management processes and associated tools (e.g., Primavera, SAP, Active Risk Manager, or other related tools). Advanced ability or understanding of the transformation of data to information for visual reports; database concepts to manage data within systems; the interaction of company functions that are touch points to projects (Finance, Legal, Quality, Supply Chain, etc.). High-quality presentation skills.
- Will be expected to complete assigned training in Westinghouse Systems, Procedures, and Policies applicable to assignments.
- Broad technical knowledge of nuclear power plants. Familiarity with utility business practices including knowledge of utility operations, maintenance and engineering practices, knowledge of procurement processes and material management are desirable but not mandatory. For international projects, knowledge of local business practices and contracting.
- Westinghouse Advanced Project Manager qualification completed. For external candidate, must be PMP (Project Management Professional), or equivalent, certification or meet eligibility requirements.
- PMI, PMP Certification or another equivalent project management certification. Project Controls-related certification (scheduling, estimating, earned value, risk, etc.) will be viewed as a plus.
- Proficiency in English
- A second or more foreign language(s) will be viewed as a plus.
- A second or more foreign language(s) will be viewed as a plus.
Westinghouse Electric Company is the global nuclear energy industry’s first choice for safe, clean, and efficient energy solutions. We enable our delivery of this vision by living our value system:
- Safety and Quality
- Integrity and Trust
- Customer Focus and Innovation
- Speed and Passion to Win
- Teamwork and Accountability
Westinghouse offers competitive benefits to all our employees around the globe to keep them healthy and enhance their well-being. In the U.S. the following are representative of what we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Health, Wellness and Income Protection Benefits
- 401(k) Savings Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Opportunities for Flexible Work Arrangements
- Educational Reimbursement Program
- Employee Referral Program
While our Global Headquarters are located in Cranberry Township, PA, we have over 9,000 employees working at locations in 19 different countries. You can learn more by visiting [Register to View] .
EOE of Minorities / Females / Vets / Disability.