Postdoctoral Appointee – Super Computing and Python
The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and computational science expertise.
Novel technologies, including JAX, numba and GPU-accelerated numpy, are rising in prominence in the high-performance computing space. ALCF’s data science group seeks a post-doctoral appointee to port and develop software into portable, interoperable applications in python using high performance python packages. The successful candidate will collaborate with diverse colleagues and researchers from the data science team and with computer scientists and domain scientists within and outside Argonne. The candidate will be expected to present and publish their work at major conferences and journals.
In this role, you will:
- Create workloads and benchmarks to ensure portable and performant application of data science workloads across a variety of hardware systems, including Polaris and Aurora.
- Collaborate with domain scientists to improve and enable their workloads on highly accelerated systems.
- Explore python interoperability practices, including GPU preprocessing and copy-free data movement between frameworks such as numpy and tensorflow.
- Expect your work to span a wide variety of science domains and to be at the forefront of data-centric computing.
Required skills and qualifications:
- A recent Ph.D. (typically completed within 3 years) in computer science, computational science, or a related field
- Experience with Python programming
- Ability to quickly assimilate new subject areas and effectively interact with experts in those areas
- Effective written and communication skills
- Experience and skills in interdisciplinary teams involving mathematicians, and discipline scientists
- Collaborative skills including the ability to work well with other laboratories and centers, and industry
- Experience with any python key libraries such as JAX, Numba, NumPy, SciPy, TensorFlow and/or PyTorch
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.