The Nuclear Science and Engineering (NSE) Division is seeking a highly motivated Nuclear Engineer to join the Research and Test Reactors (RTR) Department ([Register to View] ). The individual will perform analyses (design and safety) related to (i) conversion of existing research reactors to the use of new fuel, including modification of the fuel assembly, reactor system, and/or operation (fuel cycle and other characteristics) and/or (ii) new reactor designs and reactor feasibility studies. The individual will develop applicable physical and mathematical models and computational strategies for the design and deployment of new reactor fuels into a range of research and test reactors. Predictions of reactor performance characteristics, analyzing experimental results, performing alternative simulations, and software development and validation are key areas of work to support regulatory licensing efforts. The individual will document and prepare reports, presentations, and manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed publications in collaboration with other staff at Argonne and external institutions and national laboratories.
- Knowledge of one or more specialized areas of fission reactor physics, engineering, or fuel systems.
- Knowledge of nuclear engineering principles, theories, and practices for the design and analysis of fission reactor systems, and preferably for research and test reactor systems.
- Skill in the conception, design, and evaluation of innovative approaches and solutions to quantitative problems is necessary.
- Knowledge of programming, that may include one or more scripting languages, is required
- Experience with Verification and Validation (V&V) for both software development and engineering analysis applications.
- Experience working in Linux operating systems and computing clusters
- Skills in the use of computers and in the analysis of computational results, in the clear and effective documentation and communication of results, and in interaction with co-workers and support personnel are required.
- Experience with Software development and/or validation would be an asset.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, oral, and written communication
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This level of knowledge is typically achieved through formal education in nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering, or associated field. The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (RD2 or RD3) depending upon the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience brought to the position. The requirements for the desired levels are as follows:
- RD2 Level: Bachelor’s and 5+ years; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0+ years, or equivalent.
- RD3 Level: Bachelor’s and 9+ years; Master’s and 7+ years; Doctorate and 4+ years, or equivalent.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileNuclear/Reactor Engineering 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.