Research Assistant II - Mice Handling (149345)
- Organizes and performs routine procedures involving molecular biology, tissue culture cell maintenance and storage and biochemistry of RNA, DNA and protein processing. Requires experience in tissue culture, DNA & RNA preparation and cloning, PCR, protein cell lysate preparation and electrophoresis, western blots. Tissue culture skills, generation of cell lines, proliferation, migration, invasion and clonogenic assays. Flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry skills. Responsible in communicating experimental design and results.
- Responsible to conducting animal work using mouse and egg tumor models
- Breeding and maintaining mouse colony and performing mouse genotyping
- Preparing tumor cells and performing injections into tongues, body flanks and tail veins, implanting patient derived tumors (PDX) into the flank.
- Administer agents via IP, oral gavage and tail vein to study tumor growth inhibition with and without agent treatment.
- Performs immunohistochemistry on frozen and paraffin tissue sections.
- In charge of login in-vivo data into frozen and paraffin tissue database.
- Performs necropsy and collects tumors and tissues from mice.
- Conducts treatment and survival mice studies and performs necropsy and collect tumors and tissues from mice
- Maintains updated complete animal experimental records
- Keep updated mouse colony inventory and breeding pairs in reproducible age.
- Orders mice from vet med via eSirius software and helps to submit for IHC requests to ilab.
- Handles correspondence between husbandry and vet staff regarding mice health concerns.
- Trains and assists all personnel with mice experiments, policies and procedures.
- Performs experiments on egg tumor models, including various treatments, imaging, and other real-time assays
- Performs and coordinates scientific experiments in a collaborative effort with other technicians, postdoctoral fellows, and staff members. Monitors workflow as it pertains to the need for supplies including ordering of all supplies, equipment maintenance and stock solutions
- Equipment monitoring on a daily basis verifying correct temperatures and maintenance of all freezers including liquid nitrogen tanks., refrigerators, incubators, etc. Performs preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment. Maintains all safety precautions and maintain lab safety records and assure that safety procedures are implemented. Responsible for assigned Lab duties and general lab maintenance. Assumes responsibility for training lab personnel in routine safety practices.
- Assemble samples, reagents, dry or wet ice, data and packaging materials; draft a cover letter, accurately and legibly fill out shipping labels. Keep accurate legible logs of outgoing and incoming packages. Ship all Hazardous and Infectious Materials in accordance with USA and Institutional policy.
- Assists in Lab protocol management; MTAs, IBCs and Acufs
- Computer skills: PowerPoint, Excel, Word
8. Other duties as assigned by PI and/or department laboratory manager.
Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
Laboratory and animal work experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. [Register to View] Information
- Requisition ID: 149345
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Work Location: Hybrid Onsite/Remote
- Pivotal Position: No
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,500
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 45,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 54,500
- Science Jobs: No