Bioinformatics Research Associate II - Center for Prostate Disease Research (BIOIN003389)
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Bioinformatics Research Associate II to support the Murtha Cancer Center Research Program (MCCRP) and the Center for Prostate Disease Research (CPDR) located at the Rockledge Offices in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to the MCCRP and CPDR.
The incumbent will apply bioinformatics and data mining technologies to the study of prostate cancer and other human cancers, using genomic, proteomic, and clinicopathologic data acquired both internally and with our collaborators, as well as from the public domain.
NOTE: All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
- Provides data processing and analysis to integrative biomedical research across the clinical, genomic, and proteomic platforms for CPDR projects, which include the development of algorithms for processing and analyzing genomic information, or other biological information, using new software applications or customizing existing applications. (60%)
- Assists with biomedical informatics research projects when appropriate. (10%)
- Write reports, abstracts, manuscripts, and present research and development results in scientific and technological conferences. (10%)
- Supports scientific and technologic grant applications. (10%)
- Provides support and consultation in bioinformatics for MCCRP/CPDR and its collaborators. (10%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Capable of working both independently and as a team player. Analytical capability of data from major proteogenomic experimental platforms including NexGen sequencing and mass-spectrometry proteomics, and array-based data. Capable of using data analysis application software such as R and SAS. Familiar with a relational database such as Oracle or MySQL. Excellent oral and written communication skills and capable of writing abstracts, manuscripts, and reports to clearly explain the results from bioinformatic analysis. Knowledge in biology. Understanding of clinic-pathologic data is a plus.
Minimum Education: Master’s Degree is required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 6-8 years of relevant work-related experience.
Work Environment: Set within an office environment.
Work Arrangement: 100% onsite with telework available ad hoc as approved by supervisor.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.