Trainee Medical Technologist (req97239)
Trainee Medical Technologist - Chantilly, VA - Sunday - Thursday 8:00am-4:30pm
Currently, we seek a Medical Technologist Trainee.
Basic Purpose: The Medical Technologist Trainee performs tests under the supervision of senior laboratory personnel in those specialties in which the Trainee is qualified by education, training and experience. The Medical Technologist Trainee is responsible for assuring that a given test system is operated in accordance with the laboratory's procedure manual and that the applicable quality control requirements are met. The incumbent actively supports and complies with all company and departmental policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for performing assigned tests under the direction of senior laboratory personnel in accordance with the laboratory's procedure manual, ensuring that applicable quality control requirements are met.
2. Ensures that test systems are in “control" for each test performed.
3. Ensures that each test is performed according to the schedule outlined by laboratory protocol.
4. Responsible for informing supervisory personnel of all problems associated with the proper performance of test procedures.
5. Reports any actual or potential deviation from standard or accepted testing procedures, and cooperates fully with any investigation of same.
6. Actively supports and complies with laboratory policies and procedures.
7. Maintains laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional and sanitary condition.
8. Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements.
9. Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, Including Latex Gloves (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
10. Performs other job-related/miscellaneous duties as assigned by competent authority.
Experience, Education, and Licensure Bachelor's Degree in a biological science or, if no degree, a minimum of 90 semester hours at the college level. Of the 90 hours, there should be a minimum of 16 Biology credits, 16 Chemistry credits, and 3 Math credits. One course in Biology and one course in Chemistry must be in the upper level (Jr. or Sr. level class).
NOTE: May be qualified as a Medical Technologist subsequent to one (1) year of pertinent full-time laboratory experience and/or training in the specialty or sub-specialty in which the individual performs tests.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong interest and knowledge in specialty area desired.
• Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
• Communication skills necessary to handle telephone inquiries from clients.
• Knowledge of organizational/departmental policies and procedures.
• Basic knowledge of computer terminal operations.
• Basic analytical skills necessary to gather and interpret data.
• Ability to deal with client information in a confidential manner.
• Required to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals.