Research Scientist (150596)
- Courtesy: Is respectful and courteous to each other at all times.
- Friendliness/Teamwork: Promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness; is sensitive to the concerns of our patients and our co-workers.
- Reliability: Communicates frequently, honestly and openly.
- Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for practicing our values.
- Safety: Models safe behavior (wears badge and personal protective equipment, washes hands, and keeps work area clean and orderly); Notices a safety concern or emergency, understands role and uses proper procedures to report it; Mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices; Demonstrates ethical and personal responsibility in work and behavior
- Responsiveness: By his/her actions, creates an environment of trust; Encourages learning, creativity and new ideas.
- Personal Leadership/Self-Initiative: Helps others to identify and solve problems; Seeks personal growth and enables others to do so.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Research , conducts and troubleshoots research experiments to study biospecimens from patients with plasma cell dyscrasias. Uses hands-on molecular biology methods to prepare and assess quality of single cell RNA-sequencing libraries, and to develop, implement and use other -omics methods. To develop, implement and use other - omics methods. Records, analyzes and presents data from scientific research projects, focusing on molecular biology, genetics, genomics and other -omics studies of plasma cell dyscrasias. Plans, organizes, coordinates
Training esents experimental results to stakeholders, and in various other departmental, institutional or research forums. Plans and supervises the training of other members of the ORIGIN-MM Cohort studies regarding proper laboratory techniques, the use of laboratory equipment, and safety procedures. Works closely with the Section Chief, and also the ORIGIN-MM Cohort Laboratory and Clinical Leads.Conduct training of members of the ORIGIN-MM Cohort studies , and other myeloma researchers, to determine specific goals or objectives to be attained, analyzes and evaluates resulting research data, revises techniques or approaches to work problems, and pr
Lab Oversight es orders for supplies and reagents and equipment, and maintains records of these items. Helps to write any needed Material Transfer Agreements for inbound or outbound materials. Contributes to preparation of peer-reviewed grants and manuscripts that relate to the ORIGIN-MM studies in consultation with the Section Chief, and with input from the ORIGIN-MM Cohort Laboratory and Clinical Leads. Helps to oversee and maintain proper usage and performance of equipment used in research experiments. Helps to write and update, and oversees compliance with lab safety protocols, human subjects protection protocols, and experimental protocols. Laboratory databases, notebooks, and electronic records. Interfaces with other laboratory members and research colleagues to compare research protocols and to ensure compliance with safety and IRB protocols. Oversees all research samples and reagents, plac
Other Duties tten and oral reports to supervisor and in other departmental or institutional settings. Supervises other personnel involved in the ORIGIN-MM studies, and is responsible for their training and oversight. This includes preparation of peer-reviewed grants and manuscripts that relate to the ORIGIN-MM studies in consultation with the Section Chief, and with input from the ORIGIN-MM Cohort Laboratory and Clinical Leads of performance reviews.Performance criteria in consultation with the Section Chief, and also the ORIGIN-MM Cohort Laboratory and Clinical Leads, and preparation of performance reviews in accordance with Departmental and Institutional timelines. Compiles, writes, and presents wri
Other duties as assigned
conversations; create an environment with open channels of communication.
Provide Direction - Provide clear direction and priorities toward a common vision; clarify roles and responsibilities for employees; promote empowerment.
Strategic Thinking - Define strategic goals and issues clearly; apply broad knowledge and experience when addressing strategic issues; foresee obstacles and opportunities relating to change or improvement.
Practical laboratory technical competencies - Able to perform manual and/or automated experiments with adequate technical skill and in an organized and efficient manner while minimizing waste of reagents or biospecimens. Record and maintain lab data in notebooks, electronic databases and other media. Data from technical replicates should reflect this expected level of practical competence.
Analytical Thinking - Gather relevant information systematically; break down problems into simple components; use appropriate software tools to organize and analyze data; make sound decisions.
Innovative Thinking - Approach problems with curiosity and opOpen-mindedness; offer rational new ideas, solutions and/or options; read relevant scientific literature and modify and implement cutting edge techniques where appropriate.
Oral Communication - Express ideas clearly and concisely in groups and one-to-one
Provide service to our stakeholders, including research colleagues, support staff, vendors and others in a safe, courteous, accountable, efficient and innovative manner to include:
- Promoting inclusiveness and collegiality that demonstrates respect and professionalism to our stakeholders at all times
- Modeling safe, ethical behavior that mitigates risk to the institution through sound research practices, and adherence to MD Anderson's Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
- Responding to requests in a timely manner while proactively communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to stakeholders
- Using the steps to HEAL (Hear, Empathize, Address and Learn) the relationship when service recovery is needed
Builds and maintains customer satisfaction with the research outputs and results from the laboratory through skills demonstrated in communication, personalization of interactions, regulation of emotions, and proactive problem solving.
Performance Statement Examples
- Presents a cheerful, positive manner with customers either on the phone or in person. Shows interest in, actively listens to and responds in a clear and timely manner to customer's expressed needs.
- Focuses on the customer's results, rather than own. Goes beyond basic service expectations to help customers implement complete solutions through personalized service that anticipates the customer's unspoken needs.
- Delivers services when and where the customer needs them. Explores options when unable to deliver a requested product or service, and pursues solutions until the customer is satisfied by addressing the root cause of the issue. Problem solves with patient, family member, care giver or clinical team to aid in proactively resolving issues and concerns.
- Provides to customers status reports and progress updates. Seeks customer feedback and ensures needs have been fully met.
- Talks to customers (internal and external) with a pleasant tone to find out what they need and how satisfied they are with the service. Remains in control of own reactions and responds in a manner that demonstrates appropriate nonverbal cues and complements the customer's emotions in the situation. Recognizes when it is necessary to escalate situations to leadership to ensure customer satisfaction.
Education Required: PhD in one of the natural sciences or related field or Medical degree
Experience Required: With PhD, no experience required. With Medical degree, two years of experience in experimental or scientific work.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. [Register to View] Information
- Requisition ID: 150596
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Day/Evening, Days, Varied
- Fund Type: Soft
- Work Location: Onsite
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 55,000
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 68,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 82,000
- Science Jobs: No