Lab Assistant II (req99237)
Lab Assistant II - Tampa, FL - Night Shift -Monday - Friday - 1:00am - 9:30am
Perform various routine laboratory functions in a precise and accurate fashion to assist the laboratory professional staff and to facilitate production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Sorting, and receiving specimens in the department.
2. Performs routine instrument maintenance on some equipment.
3. Performs laboratory tasks of centrifuging specimens, printing extra labels, recording data (temperature charts) specimen storage and retrieval.
4. Preparing reagents and or media in the department.
5. Preparing specimens at workstations for testing. (including building worklists, aliquoting specimens into sample cups, checking specimens for clots and fibrin, inoculation, slide preparation)
6. Performs QA/QC duties as assigned.
7. Loading and unloading Coulters and Olympus analyzers.
8. Loads, runs and unloads some automated testing procedures. a. Instrumentation operated includes Integra, Atlas, Centaur, Ax Sym, Immulite, Autocap, Star-Sed
9. Performs complex laboratory testing or components of complex testing procedures with supervision. Examples include running of genprobes, electrophoresis, sickles cell, urine Hcg, IFA staining etc.
10. Resolves pending lists.
11. Finds missing samples.
12. Decontaminates work areas.
13. Performs weekly radioactive wipe tests.
14. Maintains files for department records.
15. Changes gas cylinders.
16. Follows all PPE requirements and all safety regulations.
17. Uses the laboratory computer system as well as operates PCs.
18. Disposes of biohazardous material.
19. Provides input regarding training and checklists.
20. Assists with the department quality improvement program.
21. Completes training and competency checklists as appropriate.
22. Special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisor. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of the work performed by this position.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• One year in a technical or laboratory department
Physical and Mental Requirements:
• Ability to routinely lift 20 lbs
• Ability to walk throughout the shift
• Stand for long period of time and bend in tight spaces;
• Maintain composure under pressure;
• Adapts to change
• Ability to grasp information quickly.
• Ability to work in a fast pace environment.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Using effective verbal communication.
1. Competent in addressing department pending lists, finding missing specimens.
2. Worked as a lab assistant I with no errors or very minor errors.
3. Exhibit a command of the lab assistant I position.
4. Demonstrate the ability to follow a series of steps without confusion or error on an on-going basis.
5. Must have the ability to establish work priorities and to handle several tasks for maximum workstation efficiency.
6. Must be able to retain information once learned.
7. Must interact with other coworkers, internal and external customers with courtesy and respect