Nurse Practioner, Full-time, Denver (16159977)
$10,000 Sign-On Bonus for External Candidates
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
We're fast becoming the nation's largest employer of Nurse Practitioners; offering a superior professional environment and incredible opportunities to make a difference in the lives of patients. This growth is not only a testament to our model's success but the efforts, care, and commitment of our Nurse Practitioners.
The Optum at Home (OAH) Dual Special Needs Plan (DSNP) program is a longitudinal, integrated care delivery program that coordinates the delivery and provision of clinical care of patients (beneficiaries) in their place of residence. The OAH program combines Optum trained clinicians providing intensive interventions customized to the needs of each individual, in collaboration with the Interdisciplinary Care Team, comprised of the Optum at Home team of clinicians as well as community-based health care professionals (e.g., PCP, specialists, behavioral health, pharmacy, and other providers). Optum providers serve people in their own homes through annual evaluations, longitudinal visits for higher risk beneficiaries, and care coordination during transitions from the hospital or nursing home and ongoing care management
Nurse Practitioners function in the role of the Advanced Practice Clinician (APC) within the Optum at Home, providing care to our highest-risk health plan beneficiaries. The APC is part of an interdisciplinary team that includes a Case Manager (RN and/or BHA), Care Navigator, Optum Pharmacy, and other supporting team members. APCs support all aspects of patient care, including diagnosis, treatments, and consultations. APCs provide general and preventative care, interventional care, point of care testing, patient/caretaker education, and medication prescribing during in-home, telephonic, and virtual visits with the interdisciplinary team.
The APC is a licensed practitioner who works under a collaborative agreement with a supervising physician. The protocol is a written document in which the physician gives the NP authority to perform medical acts and agrees to be available for immediate consultation if necessary. The APC is responsible for managing health problems and coordinating health care for the Optum at Home beneficiaries in accordance with State and Federal rules and regulations and the nursing standards of care. This includes (but is not limited to) assessment of health status, diagnosis, development of plan of care, implementation of treatment plan, ongoing evaluation of patient status and response to the plan of care, and ordering drugs, treatments and diagnostic studies. Clinical management is conducted in collaboration with other care team members.
This role requires you to travel from one appointment to the next. Should you be driving on your own, you must provide proof of a valid driver’s license from appropriate government authorities, to ensure compliance with the law.
- Perform comprehensive age-appropriate assessments for complex and chronically ill patients with the frequency established in the model of care
- Effectively manage medical and behavioral conditions, acute and chronic, in collaboration with the member’s team of care providers (e.g., PCP, specialists)
- Ensure accurate and complete ICD 10 condition documentation with supportive evidence of diagnosis Provide acute, follow-up, and post-hospitalization evaluation to engage resources and strategies to address medical, functional, and social barriers to care
- Develop a collaborative relationship with the team of health care providers, while acting as an advocate for the patient’s goals of care
- Order and interprets diagnostic tests relative to patient’s age-specific needs
- Prescribe appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities
- Implement interventions to support goals to regain or maintain physiologic stability; monitoring the effectiveness of interventions
- Facilitate the patient’s transition within and between health care settings in collaboration with the primary care physician and other treating physicians
- Provide patients and caregivers with counseling and education regarding health maintenance, disease prevention, condition trajectory, diagnosis, treatment, and need for follow up as appropriate during each patient visit
- Conduct advanced illness and advanced care planning conversations to identify and prioritize the patient’s goals of care for treatment plan development
- Verify and document that the patient understands diagnosis, treatment and follow up recommendations
- Actively participate in organizational quality initiatives, peer support, and mentoring activities
- Participate in collaborative multidisciplinary team meetings to optimize clinical integration, efficiency, and effectiveness of service delivery
- Maintain credentials essential for practice, to include licensure, certification, and CME
- Demonstrate a commitment to the mission, core values and goals of UnitedHealthcare and its healthcare delivery including the ability to integrate values of compassion, integrity, performance, innovation and relationships in the care provided to our members
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Unrestriced NP license in the state of Colorado
- DEA license or ability to obtain one
- Board Certified through the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) or the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioners (AG AC NP) in addition to Adult/Family or Gerontology Nurse Practitioners (ACNP)
- Solid computer skills, including Electronic Medical Record
- Ability to travel 75% of time for field-based regional travel
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years in practice (community or long-term care setting preferred)
- Experience in meeting the medical needs of patients with complex behavioral, social and/or functional needs
- Experience working with patients in non-clinical settings
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with symptom management
- Understanding of Advanced Illness and end of life discussions
- Awareness of health literacy and health equity in patient care settings
- Ability to work with diverse care teams in a variety of settings
- Effective time management and communication skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
**PLEASE NOTE** The Sign-On Bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or a related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis (“Internal Candidates”) are not eligible to receive a Sign-On Bonus.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.