The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
The Director, Model Implementation and Lifecycle is accountable for overseeing the Model Implementation and Lifecycle management team in support of all clinical, research, and administrative domains across MD Anderson. The Director is responsible for collaborating across the institution to help mature and support data-driven processes through the development and application of data science approaches. This position is also responsible for developing standard processes for data scientists to follow to ensure coordinated tracking and quality control of machine learning and artificial intelligence applications along with related data to ensure the best possible outcomes and maximized translation to impact. This position ensures that these applications support the mission, goals and operations of the institution and are developed, validated, deployed, and maintained in a timely, accurate, creative and cost-effective manner. The Director will take a role in raising the institutional awareness of the needs of rigorous approaches for model development and deployment along with version control management of data and models. The Director will contribute to the development of educational materials to assure MD Anderson's teams are following best practices on data science approaches. The Director will work under the Chief Data Officer and closely with Chief Innovation Officer, Chief Information Officer, Chief Information Security Officer and other leaders across MD Anderson on the prioritization, selection, development, commissioning, and maintenance of computational models.
In carrying out the following functions and responsibilities, the Director, Model Implementation and Lifecycle, is administratively responsible to the Chief Data Officer and is accountable for project completion to key executives across the institution. The Model Implementation and Lifecycle management team will work on institutional priorities while additionally exploring novel approaches that draw upon the growing network of data science expertise affiliated with the Institute of Data Science in Oncology and the emerging technologies of academic and industry partners. The successful candidate will be encouraged to engage fully in the academic community at MD Anderson, as well as, with our various academic and industry partners.
Directs the daily operations of the Model Implementation and Lifecycle management team and is responsible for human resource activities, budgeting and overall management and supervision. This position collaborates across departments and business areas to assess needs and directs activities including feasibility studies, systems analysis, software evaluations, systems functional requirements definition, and the design, programming, support, documentation, and training for data science application implementations.
• Leads the development of the strategic direction of the Model Implementation and Lifecycle management team in alignment with institutional priorities and changing methods and technologies in data science.
• Leads the development of standard processes for data scientists to follow to ensure coordinated tracking and quality control of machine learning and artificial intelligence applications along with related data and its version control to ensure the best possible outcomes and maximize translation to impact.
• Provides and articulates resource requirements (financial, technical and human resource), risk analysis and impact of requested information system projects on the institution to the appropriate Information & Technology Executive Committee (ITEC) governance committee.
• Manages the staff so that appropriate human resources are available and scheduled and holds the team members accountable to accomplish priorities.
• Proactively resolves issues encountered during and post system implementation working with all levels of personnel both internal and external to the institution.
• Oversees the evaluation of new technologies/software/vendors that may provide opportunities for data science solutions or new applications necessary to accomplish institutional goals, objectives and strategies supporting MD Anderson Cancer Center.
• Coaches the members of the team to continuously improve professional and technical skills and development and implementation processes to ensure high quality data science products and services are delivered.
• Works jointly with other directors and groups to promote successful implementation of projects.
• Communicates with broader community regarding projects implemented by the Model Implementation and Lifecycle management team
• Helps develop educational material and collaborates with the Institute of Data Science in Oncology to raise the data science capabilities and the quality of data science methods across the institution.
• Other duties as assigned by the Chief Data Officer.
Required Education: PhD Degree in Computer/Data Science or other medical related science field
Preferred Education: Additional training specific to Data Science.
- Minimum of 3 years of increasingly responsible management experience, preferably in an academic medical center environment and or industry associated with oncology with a focus on data science.
- Extensive experience working with senior and middle management and with clinicians in a team-oriented capacity.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in data sciences.
- Strong familiarity with database tools, development environments, and tuning capabilities.
- Minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible management experience, preferably in an academic medical center environment and or industry, with a focus on data science
Director, Model Implementation and Lifecycle Management It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. [Register to View]
- Requisition ID: 152139
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Hard
- Work Location: Onsite
- Pivotal Position: No
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 0
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 0
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 0
- Science Jobs: No