The Program Director, Be Well Communities™ will provide leadership for the comprehensive set of place-based investments within Be Well Communities portfolio. This program includes an expanding portfolio of multi-component, place-based, community-wide initiatives aimed at reducing cancer incidence. Aligned to the MD Anderson's Strategy, this program works to expand MD Anderson's reach by partnering with others to promote cancer prevention in the community setting. Working closely with the Director, Be Well Communities, this position will direct day to day operations of a multi-million dollar program portfolio including direct oversight of placed-based initiatives inclusive of activated partnerships with 20+ organizations carrying out evidence-based interventions related to risk reduction for cancer and chronic disease with a focus on addressing upstream and social drivers of health. Additionally, this position will work with and beyond current activated partnerships to support community-based organizations to build their capacity and provide technical assistance to support the dissemination of evidence-based strategies in cancer prevention and control. This position will directly manage Program Managers working with communities as well as provide direct oversight for external partnership teams, inclusive of 5-20 persons, based upon initiative. The position is external facing in highly-dynamic stakeholder environments, requires significant autonomy and sound judgement, and necessitates high levels of expertise in public health, community engagement, stakeholder management, independent planning and decision making, and effective problem-solving skills.
1. Be Well Communities Program Leadership
* Direct day-to-day operations of Be Well Communities, performing all administrative processes related to the program
* Lead planning and development of coalitions for place-based community initiatives (e.g., agenda development, coordinating speakers, meeting materials, meeting scheduling) including the Be Well Baytown Steering Committee meetings (20+ organizations), Be Well Acres Homes Steering Committee (30+ organizations), Population Health Collaborative (6 organizations) Implementation and Backbone Team, and others as needed
* Facilitate execution of the Community Action Plans as the operational lead for community initiatives (e.g. Be Well Acres Homes, Be Well Baytown)
* Develop and manage program timelines with regard to deliverables and milestones internally and with external collaborating organizations; engage in such work with a firm understanding of long-range program goals and institutional relationships
* Provide subject matter expertise to assist with coordination and organization of community working groups to ensure results-based outcomes, as needed
* Attend community events, serve as a trusted partner with community partner
* Incubate ideas related to expansion of the Be Well Communities portfolio
* Support all initiatives within the Be Well Communities portfolio, as needed
2. Dissemination and Capacity Building Leadership
* Develop, test, aggregate and implement highly effective training and educational resources to support wide-scale dissemination of evidence-based interventions in cancer prevention, control, and survivorship
* Foster partnerships and support the growth and long-term sustainability of community-based organizations in a way that meets the needs of and supports the work of key stakeholders throughout the greater Houston area, Texas, and beyond
* Build a foundation of trust with key stakeholders in the community
* Engage directly with stakeholders relevant to the success of initiative, including relationship management (i.e. attending Steering Committee meetings, site visits) and emphasize the importance of addressing all people inclusively, with respect, including using non-stigmatizing, bias-free language
* Develop and maintain current and comprehensive understanding of public health, healthcare systems strengthening, and related pertinent fields and standards of practice. Actively applies this understanding concurrent to align for successful outcomes within individual programs, integration of core elements to achieve success at a departmental and institutional level and exercise of accountability through metrics and applied program evaluation
3. Be Well Communities Team Leadership
• Provide leadership for personnel and teams respective to Be Well Communities:
* Direct oversight of full-time Program Managers for Be Well Acres Homes and Be Well Baytown
* Direct oversight for external partnership teams, inclusive of 5-20 partners and/or 5-20 persons, based upon initiative
* Indirect oversight of staff (and contributory work products) in direct line of reporting (e.g. Executive Director, Chief Scientific Officer) as well as to faculty dyad(s)
* Responsible for human resource functions to include staffing, performance management and professional development.
4. Be Well Communities Financial Management
* Direct day-to-day operations of the Fund Portfolio as the operational lead for Be Well Communities
* Manage the fund governance model and all related forms (e.g., strategic interest forms, applications, rubrics for review, timelines) for new potential projects
* Work with organizations to develop and maintain effective evaluation and reporting strategies before funding is initiated
* Aid in the contract creation and management process, including all related materials (e.g., EAJs, Statements of Work)
* Manage the budget portfolio for all projects connected to the initiative including invoice management and tracking
* Manage all forms and process related to the quarterly and annual reports process working with collaborating organizations to ensure accountability and appropriate fund management
* Develop and utilize quantitative and qualitative mediums to communicate, track trends within, and inform prospective decision-making related to program and investments of the Cancer Prevention & Control Platform
* Assist with identifying and writing grants and philanthropic investments to sustain the initiative
* Work closely with Platform leadership to executive consistent financial oversight and stewardship
5. Collaborating Organization Management:
* Direct engagement with, cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with external stakeholders and partners.
* Facilitate and lead community outreach and engagement, to include coordinating meetings with key community leaders and community meetings
* Build a foundation of trust with key stakeholders in the community
* Provide technical assistance and capacity building to collaborating organizations
* Use expertise and experience to identify and resolve operational issues and interacts with all levels of internal and external stakeholders to resolve problems
* Engage in such work on a prospective basis and in accordance with long-range understanding of program goals
6. Content & Dissemination Expertise
* Develop internal reports and presentations for CSO and others as needed
* Develop reports for current and future funders as needed
* Authors and manages development and organization of dissemination reports, products, and papers for Be Well Communities of publishable quality for internal and external audiences
* Meet with Platform Team members regularly to ensure consistent reporting and dissemination approaches
* Support and work with other departments as needed to support the Institution's strategic goals
* Leads and assists with ad hoc projects as needed.
* Participate in meetings with external agencies as a representative of the team
* Serves as a subject matter expert resource for Cancer Prevention & Control Platform, Moon Shots Program, and the broader institution
* Participate and report back on local, state, and national convenings related to the work and supportive of the goals of the initiative
Required: Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, healthcare administration or related field.
Required: Five years project/program management experience to include three years supervisory experience. May substitute required education degree with additional years of equivalent experience on a one to one basis. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience.
Preferred: Experience in health education or health promotion program planning, management, and evaluation; community outreach; communications. Experience in area of healthy communities or behavioral change interventions. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, under pressure. Willing and able to work extended and flexible hours, function under demanding circumstances. Computer software skills including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
Required: Must pass pre-employment skills test as required and administered by Human Resources.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. [Register to View]
- Requisition ID: 152428
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Work Location: Hybrid Onsite/Remote
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 84,500
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 105,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 126,500
- Science Jobs: Yes