Acute Dialysis Registered Nurse, RN - Float
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The professional registered nurse Inpatient RN CAP 2 may be an entry level designation into the Clinical Advancement Program (CAP) for new employees who meet the RN CAP 2 criteria or attained through advancement from CAP 1. This position is accountable and responsible for the provision and coordination of clinically competent care including assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation for an assigned group of patients. This may include delegation of appropriate tasks to direct patient care staff including but not limited to RNs, LVN/LPNs and Patient Care Technicians. As a member of the kidney disease health care team, this position participates in decision-making, teaching, leadership functions, and quality improvement activities that enhance patient care outcomes and program operations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
All duties and responsibilities are expected to be performed in accordance with Fresenius Kidney Care policy, procedures, standards of nursing practice, applicable contractual service agreements, state and federal regulations.
- Performs all essential functions under the direction of the Supervisor and with the guidance from the Educator, Preceptor, or in collaboration with another Registered Nurse.
- Performs ongoing, systematic collection and analysis of patient data pre – during – post treatment for assigned patients and documents in the patient medical record, makes adjustments or modifications to treatment plan as indicated and notifies Supervisor, Physician, patient’s primary nurse and others as indicated.
- Assesses, collaborates and documents patient/family’s basic learning needs to provide initial and ongoing education to patients and family.
- Recognizes aspects and implications of patient status that vary from normal and reports to or collaborates with appropriate health team members for input including but not limited to Supervisor, appropriate physician, and the contracted facility/primary Nurse.
- Directs and provides safe effective patient care for assigned patients as prescribed for all modality specific treatment procedures.
- Assesses daily assigned patient care needs and collaborates with direct and ancillary patient care staff as needed.
- Initiates and coordinates communication with FKC and Non-FKC dialysis providers and appropriate contracted facility personnel as needed to provide continuity of patient care.
- Performs the implementation, administration, monitoring, and documentation of patient's response to prescribed intradialytic transfusions, including appropriate notification of adverse reactions to physician and appropriate blood supplier.
- Administers medications as prescribed and documents medical justification and effectiveness.
- Initiates and assists with emergency response measures.
- Serves as a resource, leader, coach, mentor and role model for new and incumbent employees by setting examples of appropriate behavior, work habits and attitudes towards patients, co-workers, Supervisors and the company at the facility and area level.
- May be asked to provide specialized nursing care instructions to hospital/facility staff as stipulated contractually.
- May be assigned to assist in an Outpatient facility on an as needed basis.
- May serve as a Preceptor to new employees.
- Required to complete CAP requirements to maintain or advance.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly involves heavy lifting, moving of patients and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide assistance.
- This position requires frequent, prolonged periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over.
- The employee may occasionally be required to move, with assistance, machines and equipment of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemical and water solutions of up to 30 lbs. as high as 5 feet.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
- May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- May be asked to provide essential functions of this position in other locations with the same physical demands and working conditions as described above.
- Day to day work includes desk work, computer work, interaction with patients, facility/hospital staff and physicians.
- The position requires travel to training/meeting sites and between assigned facilities.
- Position requires participation in on-call rotation, night, weekend, holiday or as defined by individual program needs.
Assigned oversight of Patient Care Technicians/LPNs/LVNs/RNs as a designated Nurse in Charge, after meeting all the following:
- Successful completion of all FKC education and modality specific training requirements.
- 6 months experience in acute dialysis as a RN.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE:
- Current appropriate state licensure.
- Current or successful completion of CPR BLS Certification
- Must meet the practice requirements in all states employed.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Entry level for RNs with minimum 2 years or more of Nephrology Nursing experience in the last 2 years as a RN.
- Acute dialysis experience (preferred).
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.