Accountant - Columbia, MD
UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm) Specialty Benefits is an exciting & growing area within Employer & Individual at UnitedHealthcare. Specialty Benefits consists of Dental, Vision and several other products. This role will support the Vision accounting team, as well as several other product lines.
- Gain and maintain a working knowledge of the systems that support our accounting
- Create, document, review and approve journal entries (e.g., journal upload, general ledger queries)
- Prepare account reconciliations
- Create and update month-end reports to ensure management has data to drive decision-making
- Analyze fluctuations in accounts month over month, and year over year
- Improve business and accounting processes, leveraging latest technology to automate and digitalize processes
- Support audit, compliance and regulatory requirements for regulated entities by preparing requested data from the GL, Sub-ledgers or other data repositories
- Develop approaches for continued improvement in efficiency and effectiveness
- Support/maintain the underlying GL structure, and provides recommendations on potential changes that may impact financial reporting and create value
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Solid understanding and practical application of U.S. GAAP
- Interest in working with large volumes of data (SQL and/or SAS skills)
- Independent, downstream thinker and problem solver
- Excellent communication skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.