Registered Nurse RN Utilization Management/Pharmacy WellMed San Antonio TX
Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
WellMed provides concierge - level medical care and service for seniors, delivered by physicians and clinic staff that understand and care about the patient’s health. WellMed’s proactive approach focuses on prevention and the complete coordination of care for patients. WellMed is now part of the Optum division under the greater UnitedHealth Group umbrella.
The Utilization Management Nurse for Medical Management Pharmacy is responsible for utilization review and the coordination of members Medicare Part B medication through UM Pharmacy staff, Medical Directors and various other departments. This position will perform reviews of specialty drugs appropriateness as applicable to Medicare Part B benefit.
- Collaborates with the providers to recommend policies, procedures and standards which affect the care of the member
- Provide summary clinical and ancillary information to Clinical Pharmacist and Medical Director for review and decision making for targeted Part B medications
- Discuss patient care specifics with peers or providers involved in overall patient care and benefits
- Advocate with physicians and others for appropriate decisions (e.g., patient level of care changes) regarding patient health and welfare (e.g., care and service coverage, safety)
- Answer patient questions regarding care (e.g., medication, treatment) and benefit
- Research and identify information needed to perform assessment, respond to questions, or make recommendations (e.g., navigate knowledge Library resources, and websites and databases such as MicroMedex and National Comprehensive Cancer Network)
- Answer member and provider questions regarding care (e.g., medication, treatment) and benefits
- Apply knowledge of pharmacological and clinical treatment protocol to determine appropriateness of care and instruct patients as needed
- Demonstrate understanding necessary to assess, review and apply criteria (e.g., Milliman guidelines, CMS criteria, medical policy, WellMed Guidelines, plan specific criteria)
- Demonstrate knowledge of process flow of UM including prior authorization, concurrent authorization and/or clinical appeal and grievance reviews
- Solves problems by gathering and/or reviewing facts and selecting the best solution from identified alternatives. Decision making is usually based on prior practice or policy, with some interpretation. Applies individual reasoning to the solution of a problem devising or modifying processes and writing procedures
- Performs all other related duties as assigned
This is an office-based/Hybrid position located at our office near LockHill Selma Rd., San Antonio, TX. The position requires rotating Saturday and holiday shifts (premium pay offered)
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Registered Nurse with a current license to practice in the state of employment
- Current unrestricted RN Licensure to practice in the applicable states
- 2+ years of experience in managed care, Utilization Review, Case Management or five years nursing experience
- Relevant experience in UM process activities such as prior authorization or medical claims review
- Medical terminology, ICD-9/ICD-10 and CPT knowledge
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years practicing as a bedside nurse in an acute care setting
- Experience with specialty pharmacy
- Experience with Oncologic agents, Immunologic, or other specialty injectable highly desirable
- Exhibits professionalism and is courteous with all patients, physicians and co-workers
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 550,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
WellMed was founded in 1990 with a vision of being a physician-led company that could change the face of healthcare delivery for seniors. Through the WellMed Care Model, we specialize in helping our patients stay healthy by providing the care they need from doctors who care about them. We partner with multiple Medicare Advantage health plans in Texas and Florida and look forward to continuing growth.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.